The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Zylon Coat, yes or no?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I went to the dealership because of my battery issues and the tech dropped one of the battery tester connectors on my passenger side fender. Of course these idiots don't put down mats and it happened so fast I didnt even get a chance to say anything. This guy then assumed I didnt see anything and continued on working. One of the engine techs who was standing beside me then told the manager after the kid was done. The manager then began to get his detailing guy to "polish" the dent within the clear coat. Since he couldn't get it out completely, the manager offered to give me Zylon coat for free. Now the question is, has anyone tried this? Should I go through with it or just ignore it and move on.

I've never heard of Zylon, but I'd rather settle for a paintless dent repair, if the panel was actually dented and not just have clear coat damage.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
never heard of it.

if they dented your fender there isnt any polish or protectant in the world thats going to remove it. they should make it right with the above mentioned paintless dent repair.

NeuRon

2012 500A #1626
That makes it a no-brainer. Opt for the free Zylon coating! :p

Look into the product. If you like it, take the offer. Why potentially open a can of worms to get the clear resprayed, especially when you're almost certain to get worse damage to your paint in the course of owning your Boss? Take the extra paint protection and, hopefully, it will turn out that little dimple in the clear is the worst imperfection that you'll have to suffer.

Thanks guys.

And yes I stand corrected, its Xylon.

Its not that the dealer is trying to repair the paint with the product, but rather offer it as a "sorry we screwed up". I didnt want to do the whole body shop thing for something soooo small. I guess I should claybar and wash the car before their crew gets their hands on it. Ill try the Xylon and see how it is. Amazing how they actually try to sell this stuff for 600-800 when you buy the car.

Sarosh

I would let them do the cleaning, or if you do the cleaning make sure you use dish soap or something that will remove all wax on the car. Or like I said just let them handle it.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
just a thought prior to sealing your paint in

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzKjGVHlMHA[/youtube]

this one is rather long but he does a good job at explaining why imperfections make your car look dull. I dont agree with him totally on the purpose or wax and sealants though.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiIEHn-9qo8[/youtube]

TMO Supporting Vendors