The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brembo retaining pin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Went to track today and it didn't go well :mad:

First it we got a thunderstorm right at the beginning and it took the whole morning for the track to dry up. (I did spun the car going a straight line :-[)
After lunch the track was dry and time for some fast lap. Halfway trough the session, my brakes started making a little bit more noise and my brake pedal went a little bit softer.
Nothing much, still had plenty of brake and thought it was due to the heat.

During the cool down lap I noticed a scrapping sound coming from the front and it's speed related.
Pull into my parking spot and inspected my front wheel.

Well, the bottom pin of the driver side Brembo was gone and the retaining spring was scrapping the inside of the wheel.
Went to check the passenger side and the bottom pin was half way out.

Thanks to the few racers that was at the event we found something to replace the lost pin so I can drive home.

I will replace all the pin and spring before my next track day and keep a set as a spare in my toolbox so it never happen again.
Here the part number from Centric 117.46021

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
SwissBoss: I've not read about this issue before and the Brembos are built with performance in mind.

Did you have recent brake work or pad replacement? Could this be related to recent brake service work?

Next what is the condition of your front brake pads? Were they worn excessively?

Let us know once you disassemble for inspection.

Thanks,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

When driving these pins into the caliper, make sure you drive them in until they bottom out, which you will need a small punch to do so. If driving them flush with the caliper, they still have a short distance left to go. I always carry spares of these when going to the track too. I bought mine right from my Ford dealer as a kit and I believe it was very reasonable in price.

I have rebuild the caliper last winter (changed the seal and cleaned everything). I had a track beginning of April and no problem. After that I didn't touch them, just bled the brakes for this event.

I always drove them flush, I guess I will start taping them a little bit further in.

TMO Supporting Vendors