The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Good morning Sebring...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For those scoring at home, these are the RFID readers at pit out that monitors tires, their placement, and number used. If you break the RFID, the tire is counted against your allotment of 5 sets per weekend

20240313_150449.jpg

Last edited:

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I think they also read a chip the driver carries to monitor compliance with drive time rules. Or maybe there's another reader for that, but there was something about the langauge of the drive time rules and exactly where on track the driver "clock" starts that makes me think it's the same readers.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Soddy Daisy, TN
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
After all the hoopla about the sandbagging by Ferrari and BMW before Daytona and the BoP changes that followed, the Ferrari comes in second and the BMW fourth in a 12-car field in GTD Pro. Ferrari also finishes second in GTD (and 11th &14th), with BMW in sixth, out of 22 cars. Great freakin' job, IMSA.

At least both Mustangs finished ahead of both Corvettes in GTD Pro.

After all the hoopla about the sandbagging by Ferrari and BMW before Daytona and the BoP changes that followed, the Ferrari comes in second and the BMW fourth in a 12-car field in GTD Pro. Ferrari also finishes second in GTD (and 11th &14th), with BMW in sixth, out of 22 cars. Great freakin' job, IMSA.

At least both Mustangs finished ahead of both Corvettes in GTD Pro.
GTD is beginning to be a decent class that is growing. I'm not actually positive, but I think the GTD cars are unrestricted because they are "amateurs" or something like that. Why you'd limit GTs with pro drivers, and then let a non pro drive an unlimited Gt is a bit beyond my comprehension, but that is the way it was the last couple of years, although not sure about Daytona and Sebring.

I think they also read a chip the driver carries to monitor compliance with drive time rules. Or maybe there's another reader for that, but there was something about the langauge of the drive time rules and exactly where on track the driver "clock" starts that makes me think it's the same readers.
Yes, you are correct, we got nailed for that in the Aston Martin days, we had to put the original driver back in the car because he was about 45 seconds short. IMSA actually looked us up to tell us, which wa smighty white of them. The time between pit in and pit out does not count for drive time. That same year, the Audi got hung out on drive time because they left a driver in the car, and a yellow came out, closing the pits, so the next driver was going to be short. I forget exactly how IMSA called it, but I remember that they reitred the car early, so the amount of drive time would be measured on a percentage, and they would be legal, as opposed to runing the entire race and not having the stats, which would put them dead last and no points.
Smart move, really.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
How are the Mustangs doing in the 12 hour? I just got home.
I watched the last 6 hours on the USA( NBC Sports) network. The director in the truck for that broadcast likes the GTD class more than anything. Plus you can’t shut up that Lee Dippy fellow. The position pylon on the screen only showed the top 6 for almost 90% of coverage. Once in awhile they showed the mustangs but were more interested in the Lexus or corvette. They did show the mustang scattering bodywork following that incident. Just my options here, just like …………

TMO Supporting Vendors