The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Got new GT500 aluminum valve covers for my Gen 1 2012 GT.. What else do i need?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My pals hooked me up with a set of Predator valve covers! that engine was destined for another new build and used different cam (valve) covers. I have a 2012 gen 1 GT with Boss heads, what fasteners should i purchase? also do i need a gasket, oil cap, dip stick?

I can't wait to see how good it looks with blue Boss 302 coil covers on the aluminum valve covers. Oh.. and does this really do anything? stiffer? more heat extracted? there must have been some reason the Predator used it.

many thanks!

If they handed you the M-6067-M52S box as it ships, it has the gaskets already installed with the necessary hardware included. When I asked them previously, the FRPP hotline said the stock dipstick should work with FR3Z-6754-B (I asked because I was planning to use the matching GT500 oil pan, but it should work the same). It also needs PCV and CCV valves, which you can carry over from your current valve covers or get new (4L2Z-6A666-BA & 4L2Z-6762-AA). It comes with the oil cap.

Last edited:
If they handed you the M-6067-M52S box as it ships, it has the gaskets already installed with the necessary hardware included. When I asked them previously, the FRPP hotline said the stock dipstick should work with FR3Z-6754-B (I asked because I was planning to use the matching GT500 oil pan, but it should work the same). It also needs PCV and CCV valves, which you can carry over from your current valve covers or get new (4L2Z-6A666-BA & 4L2Z-6762-AA). It comes with the oil cap.
I got them like this.. seems i'm missing a gasket so i'll for sure have to get a couple of those also. along with fasteners, the two breathers you outlined (PCV and CCV) and the proper cap. Thing is i need to get the fastener set also since more are used on this cam cover.. not sure what that p/n is though. Thanks for the help mwjscn.

predator_covers_bottom.jpg

predator_covers_top.jpg

Here's the rest of the info:

Valve Cover Gaskets:
KR3Z-6584-A (Left)
KR3Z-6584-B (Right)

Oil Fill Cap: F2GZ-6766-F
Bolts (M6 X 35mm): W503280S437 (Per-package quantity of 4 if ordered from Ford. Online dealers may sell per bolt, so verify before ordering.)

Looks like you're also missing the coil cover ball studs. You can just unscrew those from your prior valve covers, but if you want new ones they can be ordered as M-6067B-F150.
I just noticed that these appear to be a revision that have some changes on the top. They don't have the same mounting bosses for the coil cover ball studs that I have on my set.
They also don't have the shallow rectangular depression around the entire cover where the coil covers are placed. The casting identification marks on the top also look different than I've seen before. What model year did they come off of originally?

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I got them like this.. seems i'm missing a gasket so i'll for sure have to get a couple of those also. along with fasteners, the two breathers you outlined (PCV and CCV) and the proper cap. Thing is i need to get the fastener set also since more are used on this cam cover.. not sure what that p/n is though. Thanks for the help mwjscn.

View attachment 94166

View attachment 94167
The Ford part number for the bolts is W503280S437. Should be approx $1.80 for a pack of 4. It’s the same bolt for each hole, so just count how many holes and order accordingly. I used the dipstick and tube from the 2020+ GT500 as well - it has a bend in the tube that angles it towards the front of the engine compartment.

Here's the rest of the info:

Valve Cover Gaskets:
KR3Z-6584-A (Left)
KR3Z-6584-B (Right)

Oil Fill Cap: F2GZ-6766-F
Bolts (M6 X 35mm): W503280S437 (Per-package quantity of 4 if ordered from Ford. Online dealers may sell per bolt, so verify before ordering.)

Looks like you're also missing the coil cover ball studs. You can just unscrew those from your prior valve covers, but if you want new ones they can be ordered as M-6067B-F150.
I just noticed that these appear to be a revision that have some changes on the top. They don't have the same mounting bosses for the coil cover ball studs that I have on my set.
They also don't have the shallow rectangular depression around the entire cover where the coil covers are placed. The casting identification marks on the top also look different than I've seen before. What model year did they come off of originally?
pretty sure these are prototypes of some sort. i think the engine got turned into another variant i didn't recognize the name so these were removed. Edit.. will i even be able to use the blue plastic covers on these with no depressions?

The Ford part number for the bolts is W503280S437. Should be approx $1.80 for a pack of 4. It’s the same bolt for each hole, so just count how many holes and order accordingly. I used the dipstick and tube from the 2020+ GT500 as well - it has a bend in the tube that angles it towards the front of the engine compartment.
ahh so to be super clear I will need a new dipstick if I have a factory GT pan to go with these baby's.

Very cool to have a prototype part, just a shame you can't run the Boss blue coil covers. I was also looking forward to seeing how those looked on top of the aluminum valve covers.
Well its not for sure that i can't just yet.. i'll try to put my grey ones back on if they fit them bam.. i'll get those blue ones. PS. nice car and color choice :)

Without any customization of either part (out-of-the-box fit), I'm pretty sure the raised bosses on top of the prototype part will keep the coil cover from sitting down. Here's a picture of a production one and it's smooth within the shallow recess for the coil cover in addition to having the ball stud provisions for the stock coil cover attachment method. If you have a mill and some time, though, anything is possible :)
1711400539359.png

Without any customization of either part (out-of-the-box fit), I'm pretty sure the raised bosses on top of the prototype part will keep the coil cover from sitting down. Here's a picture of a production one and it's smooth within the shallow recess for the coil cover in addition to having the ball stud provisions for the stock coil cover attachment method. If you have a mill and some time, though, anything is possible :)
View attachment 94170
Also notice your casting is much better like it was higher pressure or something. maybe mine is meant to not have any coil covers!! no matter, i'll figure it out and provide pics.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel