The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Graining Nitto's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Spent the weekend at NCM. Cold temps in the morning on Saturday so I ran on the Michelin PSS. Put a brand new set of NT01's on for the afternoon, once the temps got into the 40's. Lap times were improved 6+ seconds with the combination of Tires and temps. Ran the NT01's Sunday am in warmer temps and couldn't match lap times. Checked the tires and found the right front was blistered, grained and badly worn across 2/3 of the tread:

IMG_0995_zpsfk47ifbg.jpg

Re mounted the PSS's and ran faster, than on the grained front. Will post video and times later.....

Looks like Nitto will replace the Tire. :)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Looks like a pressure issue...as if it was way overinflated. What were the hot pressures and temps? Doesn't look like 'blistering' to me since all those remaining patches in the center sections are where the grooves or sipes are. Wierd.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Grant 302 said:
Looks like a pressure issue...as if it was way overinflated. What were the hot pressures and temps? Doesn't look like 'blistering' to me since all those remaining patches in the center sections are where the grooves or sipes are. Wierd.

I thought the same -- but hot pressure was never higher than 37. Left front got to 38, and does more work on a clockwise circuit. I verified temps real time (using Orange TPMS) and adding 2 psi to static pressures after cool down.

Weird as you say.....

Are your alignment, wheel bearings and dampers in good condition?

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Yes Clockwise circuit, but lots of turns (23) so the right gets a work out too, although as Steve points out, the left is in great shape and does even more work. Toe was adjusted (by Steve -- Thanks!) to zero, at prior event. Judging by wear on wear markers Camber is still about 2.8 degrees. I still need to confirm alignment, but ran 3 sessions on worn Nitto's at last event with no issues....

No play in bearing or hub. I'm going with rubber defect. Nitto has agreed to replace......

TMO Supporting Vendors