The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New (homemade) Splitter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Was going to put the duct kit on today and since I was at it thought I would make the splitter today. Ended up costing me most of the day so I will need to finish up tomorrow. Added only one inch more then the existing splitter so I was thinking I would not need the supports for that small amount. I did not take into account the Boss has nothing in the middle and that is where the support is needed. Now it looks like I have to order a set of the supports.

I may tone back the sides just a little bit, around a quarter inch more from where the side corners are.

Started with a big sheet
CIMG2048.png

did a rough cut
CIMG2056.png
CIMG2057.png

Just a quick mount
CIMG2059.jpg
CIMG2060.jpg
CIMG2061.jpg
CIMG2071.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The bumper cover is actually very easy to remove.

Two screws in each wheelwell where the fascia wraps around, then two bolts at the top of the grille. Then four or so on the bottom where the undertray attaches to the lower part of the fascia. Disconnect the side marker wiring harnesses. Then just give the fascia a firm tug at the parting line between the fender and the fascia, there are clips that hold it attached at each side. That is the scary part for me as I'm always thinking the tabs on the fascia or the body are going to break.

This should help:

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1097&viewfile=Bumper%20Cover%20-%20Front.pdf
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1097&viewfile=Bumper%20-%20Exploded%20View,%20Front.pdf

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
dean said:
thank you so much! sounds very doable.....will send pics threw out the install

Probably going to look something like this...

289958_10100111514156734_970165685_o.jpg

269928_10100175704922924_1911100421_n.jpg

197608_10100175306286794_438364145_n.jpg

thank you again....what about the bracket for the chin splitter that goes under the bumper cover ......just bolts up??......btw...the pics and video of pulling the bumper cover are all awesome ! going to be a huge help

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
dean said:
thank you again....what about the bracket for the chin splitter that goes under the bumper cover ......just bolts up??......btw...the pics and video of pulling the bumper cover are all awesome ! going to be a huge help
Yep the bracket is a bolt-in, very simple.

Hey fellas,

I'm finally getting around to doing all that stuff you guys did years ago (and in some cases, a car ago). Next up is some front-end work, which will include a splitter. I'm either going to DIY a splitter, or I will have one made.

Little Enos:

Little_splitter.jpg

Big Enos:

Big_splitter.jpg

For several reasons (some of them even scientifical), I prefer the big splitter that replaces the stone deflector. I have not noticed that any of the DIY people (including the ones for sale through the classifieds) have done this. Is there a compelling reason not to do this?

If it's a matter of having to rig some kind of support or bracket to secure the back or just having to work a little harder to make it work, that's not a problem. Looking for experience or input (or encouragement).

Jimmy

Judging by the mounting bolts, the splitters extend the same length from the car. Even if they do not, my question doesn't apply to that part of the splitter. I'm asking about the backside of the splitter. The big splitter replaces the stone deflector, while the smaller one (the design that was eventually used for all FRPP splitters) retains the use of the stone guard that is between the splitter and the oil filter access panel. Sorry, I'm not usually that vague.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I see what you mean and I just looked underneath at my 2012 Boss 302 LS OEM splitter, (installed on my 12 non LS Boss), and it does not have the full debth as the one shown.

Interesting, but the one shown smooths the air just past the front axle plane and is level with the engine cover.

Nice find,
302 Hi Pro

By replacing the stone deflector you can bolt the splitter directly to the radiator support. If you do the small one, only the plastic bumper and the 2 rods will hold it in place.

Also ditch the abs. It's not rigid enough. Rule of thumb, you should be able to stand anywhere on the splitter.

My first version was 1/4 abs, bolted to the radiator support, bumper and the 2 rods (like big enos). I couldn't stand on it but it held up at 130mph.

My second version and current is made out 1/2 plywood, goes all the way back to the K-member (pain for oil change), reinforced by a 2x1 aluminum tubing running the width of it and 4 rods. 2 from the stock location and 2 other close to the fog light/brake duct. I can stand on this one and compress my front suspension by pushing on it. It held up at 150mph.

Thanks, Swiss Boss! That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I will not be using ABS, but I will probably bend to the practicality of retaining the oil filter access panel (unless I find an extraordinarily clever way of mounting the splitter so that it can be removed without too much fuss). That's a secondary consideration to the security and stability of the splitter.

Happen to have any photos?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
FWIW you can get to the oil filter from the driver's side wheelwell, not too bad if you remove the driver's front wheel. Easier than removing a full-back splitter, anyways.

Thanks, Swiss Boss! That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I will not be using ABS, but I will probably bend to the practicality of retaining the oil filter access panel (unless I find an extraordinarily clever way of mounting the splitter so that it can be removed without too much fuss). That's a secondary consideration to the security and stability of the splitter.

Happen to have any photos?

I don't have any pictures but I'll try to remember to take some when I'll have the car up in the air this weekend

TMO Supporting Vendors