The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

PWC in Road America this weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quite an eventful weekend....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft0NF1tBbIM

Well for those scoring at home this weekend was quite a challenge. We had to run a smaller restrictor (52mm) and at Road America that is a big hit because of the long straights.
We qual'd about 5th and 6th and at the start of the first race it was apparent we had several problems to deal with. Kurts #37 did not have enough tape removed from the grill and began overheating almost immediately, this was to have serious ramifications on Sunday. The car ran around 260- 280 for most of the race Saturday, finishing about 6th.
On the 35 car the hood blew up on the pace lap, it was secured in the pits with tape and he was able to start last from pit lane, but was ready at when the lights went out. He blistered through the field, running up to 3rd place, but destroyed the tires in the process, he was passed on the last lap by one of the Khias and finished 4th. The leading Camaro apparently ran out of fuel.
The 35 car lost the clutch which was damaged on the standing start and DNF'd.
On Sunday we had our act together a little better, AJ started on the pole thanks to his fastest lap on Saturday while coming through the field. Dean Martin got the jump and led AJ then Kurt, the plan was to pull away from the Khias and Porsches but that plan only lasted about 4 laps. AJ passed Dean, Kurt got into Dean and backed off to give the position back, this let one of the Khias by both for second, AJ led the rest of the race, extending his lead to about 5 seconds, Jack Baldwin in a Porsche got passed the Khia before the end of the race. The 37 faded to about 12th due to engine issues and Kurt dropped a wheel, causing the panhard bar to take the upper fitting off the diff, and pumping th eoil out. The 35 finish about 14th or so.
These Boss 302 engines are pretty impressive, you can really beat the crap out of them, after running Saturdays race at 250 plus temps fro the entire race, when we did the diagnostics, one of the cylinders was showing rich, it was the cylinder starting to pump oil, which was
misinterpreted as a bad o2 sensor/ coil pack/ plug type issue. The fact the engine ran and completed both races is a testament to its robustness (if that's a word). The 8.8 dif is another good piece, even after the cooling pump ran most of the oil out of it, it continued to do it's job for over 40 minutes, never failing.
Here's the TV times

ROAD AMERICA

DATE: Friday, June 26 - Sunday, June 28
ROUND: GT/GTA: Rounds 11, 12 & 13; GT Cup: Rounds 10 & 11; GTS: Rounds 9 & 10; TC/TCA/TCB: Rounds 7, 8, & 9
TV BROADCAST INFO: On CBS Sports Network Sunday, July 5, 2 PM: GT/GTA, GT Cup presented by MOMO. Wednesday, July 8, 7 PM: TC, TCA, TCB. Wednesday, July 8, 9 PM: GTS. All times listed Eastern. Times and dates subject to change.
DESCRIPTION: The Pirelli World Challenge heads back to Wisconsin June 26-28, as the series returns to Elkhart Lake's legendary four-mile, 14-turn Road America.

Cool. I look forward to watching in on TV. In case you missed it.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=9822.0

Very cool. Wow that Ferrari nearly jumped through the fence. It was hard to tell from the video on my phone, but did he get bumped or was the cause? Turn 5 puckers me a little.

I really love watching this series but I always forget to check when it is on since they never seem to go live. What the heck are the KIA's running for an engine that can keep up with the Boss and Z28's? Is it the restrictor's, handling. I had one try to mess with me a few months ago coming to work and I was puzzled why he would even attempt it but after seeing them race I was impressed. Its going to be fun watching the rest of the season. Good luck guys!

Hambone said:
I really love watching this series but I always forget to check when it is on since they never seem to go live. What the heck are the KIA's running for an engine that can keep up with the Boss and Z28's? Is it the restrictor's, handling. I had one try to mess with me a few months ago coming to work and I was puzzled why he would even attempt it but after seeing them race I was impressed. Its going to be fun watching the rest of the season. Good luck guys!

Kias run massive boost and are big budget, they are also front wheel drive which means tire management is everything to them, they got away with it last year when there were a lot of yellows, this year the series has gotten more professional and there are a lot less of them (yellow flag) Historically they wait until the last few minutes of qualifying and burn off a few hot laps , but by the end of the race they start to fall off. The mustangs run a restrictor plate.
As for the video...you just saw the last part, 75 ft through the air, 150 ft of catch fence and 7 jersey barriers, he walked away from it. He was going for the lead on the last lap I don't know if he got squeezed or not, I wouldn't be surprised, a lot of those GT and GTA guys are real boneheads (Long Beach, for reference)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I enjoy watching PWC but the series is way over-commercialized and the BOP to bring in new manufacturers (read: Money) is pretty hilarious to anybody that actually knows cars.

"Welcome to your Stoptech Motul Pirelli Brembo Autism Charity Braking Zone" etc...

And the B302 is the BASE CAR for GTS classing...yet they have to restrict the hell out of it as it leaves the factory (basically) just to allow other cars (that are HEAVILY modified and have nothing to do with a production vehicle other than the body shell) to be competitive. Again--money.

The standing starts are great for spectators and creating "action" from someone inevitably stalling and wrecking 3-4 other cars. Sucks for racers and people that have to actually put money and time into these cars.

**Rant mode off**

All that being said, you will see some great door-to-door racing from some of the best in the sport. These guys race every 45-minute sprint race like they are out there for a championship.

ArizonaBOSS said:
I enjoy watching PWC but the series is way over-commercialized and the BOP to bring in new manufacturers (read: Money) is pretty hilarious to anybody that actually knows cars.

"Welcome to your Stoptech Motul Pirelli Brembo Autism Charity Braking Zone" etc...

And the B302 is the BASE CAR for GTS classing...yet they have to restrict the hell out of it as it leaves the factory (basically) just to allow other cars (that are HEAVILY modified and have nothing to do with a production vehicle other than the body shell) to be competitive. Again--money.

The standing starts are great for spectators and creating "action" from someone inevitably stalling and wrecking 3-4 other cars. Sucks for racers and people that have to actually put money and time into these cars.

**Rant mode off**

All that being said, you will see some great door-to-door racing from some of the best in the sport. These guys race every 45-minute sprint race like they are out there for a championship.

You make some great points Drew. Sadly, I think this is the state of professional racing. You should see the stuff ranted on about in the IMSA facebook groups. Tudor has seen a ton of attrition to PWC, but PWC is the best show in town all things considered. On the up side you get real "world" challenge with teams and cars from all over. More teams showing up each year. New manufacturers etc.

What's funny is they slapped a BOP on the bosses prior to road america and Andrew still beat the field down. I hate it too because the BOP doesn't just punish the cars it eventually equalizes the drivers too. It punishes success.

In MY opinion. A fair tradeoff between money (attracting new teams) and integrity (allowing the best to be better) would be to set the BOP at the END of a season using data from that season. And not change it. (I'm getting deja vu that I posted this elsewhere. if so, sorry). That would let teams prep during the off season and everyone lives with the rules for a season. That puts the onus of responsibility on the BOP committee to do their homework and get it right.
It does open the door for some teams to sandbag, but they need to develop scientific methods that are transparent for measuring cars and live with it for a season. If a team sweeps, then...that's racing.

steveespo said:
Rob
Do they chassis dyno all the cars and publish the numbers for all the teams to know? Just wondering what the cars are putting down with 52mm restrictors. If it's not top secret and you could share it would be cool to know.
Steve

I've never seen a PWC car on a chassis dyno, so I'm guessing they're running times, broken up by sections, and making the decision based on that. Not really able to talk HP numbers, but I can tell you the cars are dyno tuned to the restrictor by our engineer.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
blacksheep-1 said:
I've never seen a PWC car on a chassis dyno, so I'm guessing they're running times, broken up by sections, and making the decision based on that. Not really able to talk HP numbers, but I can tell you the cars are dyno tuned to the restrictor by our engineer.
Got you. I know what my car makes and running with Dean he pretty much stayed even or slightly ahead on the straight even carrying all that wing. His cornering and speed through the esses just blew me away. So it seems the PWC cars are making close to 450 at the tires even with the restrictors.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel