The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TMO Genus T Trackraticus and how they placed at the SCCA Solo Nationals!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
First off I talked to a ton of Mustang Conecarvers and if I miss posting your achievements on this Forum it is only because I don't know all of your actual names or monikers, so my apologies up front.
I wanted to give a shout out to Al Hermans, whose track and autocross cars have both been down this year, but Chris Miller ( Iowa driver ) let Al be his official C Prepared tirewarmer and Mr. Hermans did his job well , helping Chris trophy at the 50th Anniversary Event. Al ended a respectable 16th out of 35 drivers in a car he had never driven before ----- a Turbo 4 in the land of ground thumping V8s!

CAMC found Mr. Solo Performance , Dave Whitworth ( DaveW ) running strong both days and even standing in 2nd for awhile on day one, and he finished the event with the 6th place trophy in the massive field of 48 CAM( tire )Corders! The other great story was the father and son duo from New York , Jon and Elliott Weiss. Many of you have followed Jon's pylon travelogue that he voiced as " Shooting his Shot at CAMC, " with his huge monster motor 3.7 Liter Veeeee Six! The boy can drive because he took his lack of horsepower and added his abundant reflexes to end up 16th in his first " National Championship. " Few drivers do that well the first time at the big event, let alone with an underpowered Pony and he was only 3 spots out of the trophies! Both DaveW and I were both quite impressed. His dad , Elliott, ended up in 38th and he and I both discussed what excellent tire warmers we were for our sons, ha!

CAMT saw one of our TMO Trackstars, Emery Seaton, sitting down in 7th on Thursday, and the entire CAMT group was shocked to see the 2022 National Champion this far back in the standings. Another proud father , Brent Seaton, followed Elliott and my lead , warming those rubber donuts up so that our sons could wiggle through the orange upright rubber like devices and with Dad's heated lap Emery came roaring back to vault into the Silver trophy position. Second place was not his first choice , but after his cone killing day on Thursday it was a dramatic resurgence. Dad ended up a bit out of the trophies in 15th , but watching Emery vault so far forward dad's smile showed that was all the trophy he needed.

Last surprise of the event was not the win for TMO member Sam Strano, that was predicted, though he had to come back this Friday after hitting cones and being out of contention for a brief moment. No, the fantastic news I found out just a bit ago, was the sterling comeback from way out of the trophies by Brian Meyer in his GT 350. He had the Mustang galloping at a breakneck pace, barrel racing around the pylons, knowing it was do our die, and he captured the 8th trophy. Great news as Brian got a trophy at last year's Nationals , but his one was more dramatic and in a field of 36 F Street cars, a great way to finish a year where he won some solid PAX wins in the Nebraska Region events.

Great event and I will post some pictures later ----- may do an entire thread of just fun and crazy shots!

Last edited:
I meant to catch up with the Weiss's @drj2k1 and never got time. Whoever was #129 was running right in front of me (#139). I think I only saw Brian Meyer in passing as well. No slight intended, I am pretty busy with work doing tires at the event and it cuts into visiting time.

DaveW

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Hilarious.......DaveW politely saying he was busy was an oxymoron, he and his good buddy Ron Ver Mulm were changing tires for all the Hoosier contingent as well as mounting and dismounting everyone who wanted it done and here were only......................major drum roll..................about 1350 Driver participants there. I am not sure Dave and his wife Liz had time to sleep let alone race and work. Listed below are a few pics of his and Liz's little on site SPS Store and Tire Changing trailer to give you a small idea of all the stuff they offer and do. Plus they have been making decals and numbers for racecars for 25+ years.

IMG_9561.jpg

IMG_9560.jpg

IMG_9562.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Mason City, IA
Bill, I always appreciate your reviews of the events. Because of some overthinking, we had Emery run first instead of me (Brent Seaton) at Nationals. This really hurt him both days. Thursday, the first run was a throw away because it was too cool. He coned his second run. Thus, the third run was a safe but quick run and left him in the trophies after day one though a good distance behind first place. On Friday, he basically only had one run to make it happen given the wet and drying conditions. I wish we hadn’t had him run first because he would have had a better chance to demonstrate his skills. I think the final placing might have been the same, but the time differential between him and Neil would have been less. Given the conditions and pressure (he was in 12th before his last run), I am very proud of his performance at Nationals. He is also juggling work from his first year in college now too. We really need to upgrade the engine, differential, and some other pieces to give him the right opportunity to show his skills next year. Also, it might give me a chance at a trophy at some point. Lol.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I sure understand the situation running first might have caused, as it was cool and going out first always let's you and I as " Tirewarmers " assess the course better , get some heat into the tires and even see if the line has change due to a bunch of clagg on the course ( Olde English for OPR ,ha ). I would agree if Emery had gone second it would have likely improved his chances, but I would have to suggest that his roaring back from way down in the order likely caused more respect, admiration and even fear among other drivers that he could never be discounted. There were quite a few past National Champions way out of the trophies this year , cones were demolished by many, and it is obvious from your note this great placing was still frustrating and those competitive juices Emery and you have are flowing heavily and we will be seeing a renewed effort to get back to the top of the podium. The Class is getting harder and more competitive, partially due to folks needing to up their game to stay ahead of the Seatons, so you two should be super proud of that. It will get more difficult through the years as it is becoming a super popular place to run older pony cars. It was a great battle and the Winner this year invested a home mortgage into his car and it showed, plus he is also a skilled driver, so I know many are anticipating another exciting battle in 24 at the various National Events. I am confident we will see Grandpa Seaton's Mustang at the top step again and again in the coming years and I also figure you will be running first from now on, hehe.

Best Wishes,
Bill the Tirewarmer

PS - heh, both our sons trophied so we must be doing something right!!

TMO Supporting Vendors