The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track tires and sizes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys, I just ordered some of the sve 18" 9.5 and 10 rims to use on the track and now need to pick some tires. So thought I'd reach out and see what you guys recommended. I've participated in 11 HPDE events and feel like in ready to setup from the regular street tires.

I've thought about Hoosier R6 take offs, nitto nt01 and 555II's.

Not sure of what sizes to go with, staggered or square set up, etc. I do plan on getting some camber plates installed.

Let me know what you think. Thanks for the help!

Are you driving your Boss to the track?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NT01 would be my recommendation, step up to the R6s later on after you get comfortable on those. NT01s are probably the best tire grip and life for the money in track tires. Try and keep them around 37psi hot.

Not sure what the sizes are off the top of my head but if you plan to run square, Nitto offers both a 275/35/18 or a 275/40/18, pick whichever one best suits your intended overall gearing. The 40 has a little more effective "spring" at the wheel, the 35 has a little quicker turn in response.

If you've got stock swaybars then find a staggered set that works.

And definitely get the camber plates! Nothing destroys expensive track tires like LACK of camber.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
What about the Toyo R888's? I live in Germany and this is the most common tire I see at the track. I picked up a set for my Enkei's but have yet to use them as I am just returning from Afghanistan.

I do have stock swaybars, do you think 275/35/18 for rear and 275/40/18 for fronts would work? I appreciate the comments!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
kbush02 said:
I do have stock swaybars, do you think 275/35/18 for rear and 275/40/18 for fronts would work? I appreciate the comments!

No, the 35 vs. 40 is the aspect ratio of the tire, that controls the overall height. A 275 35 will have a smaller circumference than a 275/40.
On the stock swaybars you will want to run a staggered setup with a wider rear tire that mimics the factory tire widths.

Unfortunately the NT01 doesn't have any great sizes in 18s to mimic this on the BOSS. Closest you could get is a 245 up front and 275 in the rear, which is smaller than stock by 10mm each end. Or you could do a 275 up front and 315 in the rear if your wheels will fit a 315.

For track use try and find something 265 or larger for the front and then something 30-40mm wider for the rear (again on stock bars).

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Flyboygsxr said:
What about the Toyo R888's? I live in Germany and this is the most common tire I see at the track. I picked up a set for my Enkei's but have yet to use them as I am just returning from Afghanistan.

Not well suited for heavier cars like Mustangs, they get hot and greasy too fast in a 20 min session. I hear they work great on lighter cars like E36s and Miatas, however. A couple years ago, R888s were so hated by NASA AI racers that they petitioned (successfully) to go back to Toyo RA1s on the Mustangs.

LS Boss

The "old" and the "new"
I been running BFG R1 now for about 3-4 tire changes, they have been pretty good (typically min 7+ track days - usually 5 heat cycles per day, even though they don't lose all their heat between sessions)...I just bought a set of R1-S (new version)....they are supposed to have better grip after prolonged heat cycles (yet similar life to the R1)....the regular R1 gets pretty hard after about 5-6 track days...even though still plenty of tread, it loses grip pretty fast.

I think the Hoosier is probably still the best but I went to the cords on all 4 tires in two days at Miller Motorsporst Park in UT with a brand new set. Have tried only one set of the Nitto's ...they were pretty good but wear can adversly be affected by the track surface, still no where near the track life as the BFGs. I am running 275/35-18 all four square on a full cortex watts link suspension.

TMO Supporting Vendors