The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Would you run 6 year old track tires with 800 miles (unknown heat cycles)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Virginia
I think I already know the answer to this question (why risk it), but I will ask anyways as it is a two part question.

I have a set of SC3rs with 800 original miles - all street - were original tires to the car on a 2018 model year (not a Mustang). I purchased it like that. I took it to the track to find my seating position for the half cage that was getting welded in and went fair easy on the car because of the tires and because it was my first time in this car and had not been track prepped yet. However I was concerned before I took it there about the age of the tires and was more cautious. I think most would recommend dumping tires that are past a certain shelf life (assume the tires were garage kept and out of the sunlight). Any advice/recommendations?

I ran 4 sessions and I noticed this on the rear. I am planning on dumping all four corners, but if this was a fresh tire would you be concerned with the cords in the picture below? Just curious for future reference. I have never had a SC3R cord there or like that.

IMG_7030.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Since you are going to replace all 4 I would not worry about this tire cording, as over the years I have had almost every brand corded at some point, and you don't know how the first 800 miles were run. Were they ever rotated, were they on a rough track, or was there heavy use on one side due to predominant right or left hand turns. In fact , who knows what pressures were run and with age and wear you aren't using them so no need to over analyze as the tires are different now - compound and more.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I think I already know the answer to this question (why risk it), but I will ask anyways as it is a two part question.

I have a set of SC3rs with 800 original miles - all street - were original tires to the car on a 2018 model year (not a Mustang). I purchased it like that. I took it to the track to find my seating position for the half cage that was getting welded in and went fair easy on the car because of the tires and because it was my first time in this car and had not been track prepped yet. However I was concerned before I took it there about the age of the tires and was more cautious. I think most would recommend dumping tires that are past a certain shelf life (assume the tires were garage kept and out of the sunlight). Any advice/recommendations?

I ran 4 sessions and I noticed this on the rear. I am planning on dumping all four corners, but if this was a fresh tire would you be concerned with the cords in the picture below? Just curious for future reference. I have never had a SC3R cord there or like that.

View attachment 91862
That looks like something damaged that spot rather than from normal wear. There’s still plenty of tread depth in those outside treads. 3R’s will have no signs of that outside tread before showing cords. Without that chunk missing, I would cycle those tires out. As is, I would replace all 4 and keep at least 2 of these as spares in case you damage a tire down the road.

I will always share my standard PSA this time of year for 3R’s - if morning temps are in the 40’s or lower, these tires are like glass on the out lap. Give them the utmost respect, scrub some heat into them and be patient.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Not a chance...the car and your life or someone else's for that matter are worth way more than a set of tires...even if you buy some "new" used sets.

Not trying to be harsh...just my take on tires. I even cycle my trailer tires at 5-6 years. Just not worth the risk IMO.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
I would add my 2 cents since I think my perspective will be way different. First a lot of members here run on scrubs from race teams. This are often slicks with unknown heat cycles or previous exploitation and often on the end of there life. My last track day of the year was actually on my street tires with were the original 2017 Dot PZero's fronts with a 2019 Dot Hankook K127 rears (this hankooks are no good for the Mustang don't try them). I actually run my best lap ever on Street tires (1:09.97) and had tons of fun in the process. Was it dangerous sure the car was sliding more than usual but in fact was amazing fun and a great way to learn just how much the semi slick tire is hiding from the car behaviour and also to practice a lot of car control. For training if you are not going to chase lap times and you know to leave safe distance in brake zones and a margin for error I think old tires do have there place on a race track. Consider that almost all racers use some form of old tires ether on test days but sometimes even in the race or qualification.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Actually, I would not only not agree with using old tires, I am just as concerned with drivers using two different brands of tires. Considering compound changes and construction within various brands of tires ( i.e. Michelin, Bridgestone, , Goodyear, Yokohama , etc. ) putting two different brands with different tread patterns , treadwear ratings , and actual compounds difference is asking for disaster. 42 years of playing on track, this is a common problem when someone goes off track ---- not a good thing to try and especially dangerous to a new driver.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Actually, I would not only not agree with using old tires, I am just as concerned with drivers using two different brands of tires. Considering compound changes and construction within various brands of tires ( i.e. Michelin, Bridgestone, , Goodyear, Yokohama , etc. ) putting two different brands with different tread patterns , treadwear ratings , and actual compounds difference is asking for disaster. 42 years of playing on track, this is a common problem when someone goes off track ---- not a good thing to try and especially dangerous to a new driver.
It was interesting experiment for sure though I did use them like that for street tires for the past 2 seasons. So I do know what gives what grip. Interestingly enough the rears were actually the tire with less grip which was challenging the first few laps. But yeah I do agree with you.

TMO Supporting Vendors