The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Elgin Racing Video Stream of the VIR 13 Hour Endurance Race

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i completely agree they had the pace to win overall. I watched for about an hour in the morning and they were very fast! Incredible to only finish 15 laps back with a rear end swap (less than 30 mins behind). Great effort by the team for sure.

The live feed was AWESOME. I hope we continue to see this as a growing trend.

Thanks for all the support and interest guys. Sorry we could not win it again. The car was awesome and we were projecting a win in the last hour but the pinion bearing sent us to the garage. Replace the complete rear axle and made it back to fifth. If you aint first youre last is how I feel in this instance. Let me know if you have any questions about the car and I will do my best to get them answered. I have learned a lot from this board and would like to give back. 1:55.4 at VIR aint bad for 3500lbs!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Greg: Can you tell us more about the full-floater rear on the car? I saw you guys had 4-piston Brembo Pro Kit brakes back there!

Do you guys have any modifications with respect to increasing HP or is it "just" a stock mill?

The rear is a factory 8.8 modified by Paul's automotive Engineering using Speedway and Moser parts. We went with a floater so that we could use a fixed caliper and increase our our pad life to 13 hours (it's way more than that). Mike Messina of Brembo did the calculations so that we would not upset the brake bias moving from the sliding single piston that came with our R. The front are the GS big package but uses a high annulus rotor and smaller rotor hat so that we may use a larger front pad. The engine is a sealed GS motor from Roush. It is the R2 package which allows for longer high rpm running. Tuning was done by Jeff Paxton at Roush Performance to conserve as much fuel as possible and we still got a bump in HP. Other than that it's got Kooks headers and exhaust.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
G.Obadia said:
The rear is a factory 8.8 modified by Paul's automotive Engineering using Speedway and Moser parts. We went with a floater so that we could use a fixed caliper and increase our our pad life to 13 hours (it's way more than that). Mike Messina of Brembo did the calculations so that we would not upset the brake bias moving from the sliding single piston that came with our R. The front are the GS big package but uses a high annulus rotor and smaller rotor hat so that we may use a larger front pad. The engine is a sealed GS motor from Roush. It is the R2 package which allows for longer high rpm running. Tuning was done by Jeff Paxton at Roush Performance to conserve as much fuel as possible and we still got a bump in HP. Other than that it's got Kooks headers and exhaust.

Interesting on the brakes and engine--what's in the "R2" package that makes it more friendly to sustained high RPM? We don't hear much about this stuff typically.

I think those engines are rated for 50 hours before rebuild, have you guys run the whole season on this one already or was it fresh for the 13?

I believe and dont quote me but it was valve springs, valves, connecting rods, maybe the crank and some additional blueprinting. It was a step up in cost over the off the shelf R1. I forgot to include that we had Roush Yates also add the Motec engine wiring harness. So the engine was refreshed by Roush over the winter and we ran the 12 hour in Jersey and the 13 Hour at VIR plus some testing, practice and qualifying. The car or the engine will be going back to NC for another refresh during the winter in preparation for the 12 hour in Jersey. The transmissions get rebuilt after every race and now we will do the same with the rear end (lesson learned).

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel