The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT500 heat exchanger upgrade for mild track use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Caledon ON Canada
Hello all

Just wondering if there are any suggestions for a heat exchanger upgrade for a 12 GT500 with a stock blower and no plans for power increases. I’ve seen the VMP unit with fans and the various options from Department of Boost, any specific recommendations? As mentioned, stock engine 12 GT500 that is quick enough for my needs, will be seeing 15-20 minutes sessions at HPDE events when I am coaching.

The car is new to me this year so I haven’t had a chance to run it in the warm summer weather yet. Here in Ontario we can sometimes get 85-90 degree days with high humidity, I don’t want the car to be crapping out after 2-3 laps. Will also mention that I certainly won’t be driving balls out in the car, just fun lapping, but my home track Mosport does have an uphill back straight that is like a long dyno pull … probably a good 20+ seconds on full throttle in higher gears.

Thanks,
Ed

In the V6L
Hello all

Just wondering if there are any suggestions for a heat exchanger upgrade for a 12 GT500 with a stock blower and no plans for power increases. I’ve seen the VMP unit with fans and the various options from Department of Boost, any specific recommendations? As mentioned, stock engine 12 GT500 that is quick enough for my needs, will be seeing 15-20 minutes sessions at HPDE events when I am coaching.

The car is new to me this year so I haven’t had a chance to run it in the warm summer weather yet. Here in Ontario we can sometimes get 85-90 degree days with high humidity, I don’t want the car to be crapping out after 2-3 laps. Will also mention that I certainly won’t be driving balls out in the car, just fun lapping, but my home track Mosport does have an uphill back straight that is like a long dyno pull … probably a good 20+ seconds on full throttle in higher gears.

Thanks,
Ed
I used to do track days in my 2014 GT500 and it came stock with enough driveline cooling to work without any problems. Didn't have a 20-second long straight, but otherwise, it was a track.

My suggestion to you is to compare the driveline cooling on your 2012 with the 2013/14 cooling setup and see if there's a need to add anything. The engine, trans and diff on the 13/14 cars all had coolers, but with 100 less HP and TQ, you might not need all of them for 20 minute sessions.

The other thing to look at is brakes - the 13/14 cars had 380mm front brakes and larger rears as well. The OEM setup was good but I was never totally confident that I wouldn't run out of brakes. I changed the brake setup to a Brembo Racing kit that worked very well.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Caledon ON Canada
The 13-14 has what I suspect is a more efficient IC under the blower in intake, which is available from Ford Performance. The heat exchanger up front is improved too but for the price of an OEM one I may as well look to the aftermarket, unless I happen to find a good used part from someone who has done an upgrade themselves.

Definitely have larger brakes on the list of “nice to have”. Plans are for the 13-14 GT500 rotors with S550 6 piston calipers as people here have done, along with the 13-14 rear rotors and calliper relocation brackets.

Thanks

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
I bought and have been running the c&r radiator and heat exchanger from Revan racing for quite a few years. Has been great on track with no issues. Have a slightly smaller pulley and full exhaust(550 rwh).

IMG_3206.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors