The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Got new Apex forged wheels - 18x11 need S197 spacer ideas w my cortex struts. 315/30/18

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang team please help me figure out which spacers to use..

Below you will find the Apex fitment guide for my car 2012 GT. I got the tasty gold SM10-RS and i was all set to purchase the 25mm front spacer and 5mm rear spacer... but then.... I remembered i have the Cortex JRi two way coil overs and the struts have the special offset to allow for more tire clearance. woo hoo.

emailed Cortex they said the fronts may not hit at all and no spacer is possible but its tbd.. They didn't comment on the rears. Does anyone else run the Apex forged wheel combo with 315/30/18's on the S197? Do i even need front spacers w the Cortex special strut? Corex sells a 14, 19 and 25mm spacers which one can i run with the special offset struts? and on the back, since i have coilovers do i need the full 5mm? I'm going to run the 200 treadwear class - probably the cheapest ones like Continental Extreme Contact Force since we have the code from Meateater 'VatterVIP' that takes the price from $440 to $396 per tire.

I'm getting the longer ARP studs from Cortex also 1/2-20 size (s197 is smaller than S550 and beyond).. No TPM sensors, and the Cortex lug nut set zinc plated.

Many thanks, all comments welcome!

------------------

Wheels

Front Wheel Size: 18x11" ET52 Rear Wheel Size: 18x11" ET52

• Available in: EC-7, SM-10, VS-5RS, EC-7RS, SM-10RS, VS-5RE
  • Additional negative camber is required up front. We recommend at least -2.75*
  • 25mm spacers, extended wheel studs, and open lug nuts are required up front for strut clearance
  • No spacers are needed on the rear for cars with OE (divorced) rear springs
  • 3-5mm rear spacer may be needed for cars with true rear coilovers depending on spring length/preload
  • Select coilovers with offset housings allow the use of a 20mm front spacer. The only known coilovers are JRi, JRZ, and MCS. Please contact your suspension manufacturer to determine if your coilover not listed here has offset housings if you wish to run less of a front spacer. Most do not.
  • In rare cases, a certain shock and swaybar combo may allow the rear axle to hang low enough that the inner lip of the wheel rests on the bumpstop bracket when all four tires are suspended off the ground. You can clearance/remove the bracket if this happens, but we suggest leaving it alone. It will not cause any issues while driving.

@twistedneck This isn't your precise setup but on my '11 GT I have the Cortex Koni coilovers with their offset strut and run SVR LME 19x11 with 50 mm offset, usually with a 305/30/19 Goodyear SC3R. With that setup the tire just barely rubs the front strut housing with no spacer. No rubbing in the rear with no spacer.

This makes me think you want a spacer but I don't know if your Cortex JRI front strut is a different dimension than my Cortex Koni strut? I use the Cortex 25 mm front spacer, which is way more than I need but I already had them from a previous setup plus I like the idea of as much front grip as possible to reduce understeer.

Good luck - nice car, wheels, and mods!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I have the Apex 18x11 EC-7 wheels with the Cortex offset struts and use them with 25mm spacers as well with 315/30-18's. Just so I could play with up to -4.5 camber.

I have the Apex 18x11 EC-7 wheels with the Cortex offset struts and use them with 25mm spacers as well with 315/30-18's. Just so I could play with up to -4.5 camber.
I see thanks Mad Hatter.. so by using the 25mm spacers i can get more camber out of them!! nice 4.5 is insane but still.. that's what i'll do then. what about the rears what spacer did you need (assuming you have the same normal coilover rear setup)..

@twistedneck This isn't your precise setup but on my '11 GT I have the Cortex Koni coilovers with their offset strut and run SVR LME 19x11 with 50 mm offset, usually with a 305/30/19 Goodyear SC3R. With that setup the tire just barely rubs the front strut housing with no spacer. No rubbing in the rear with no spacer.

This makes me think you want a spacer but I don't know if your Cortex JRI front strut is a different dimension than my Cortex Koni strut? I use the Cortex 25 mm front spacer, which is way more than I need but I already had them from a previous setup plus I like the idea of as much front grip as possible to reduce understeer.

Good luck - nice car, wheels, and mods!
stevbd do you have a build thread anywhere?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I see thanks Mad Hatter.. so by using the 25mm spacers i can get more camber out of them!! nice 4.5 is insane but still.. that's what i'll do then. what about the rears what spacer did you need (assuming you have the same normal coilover rear setup)..
To be as accurate as possible, with 25mm extra ment you have no danger of touching with -4.5 camber. I found that -4.5 camber was to expensive on tire wear so I settled for -3.5. No problem at the rear, no spacer required with the upside down cortex setup.

To be as accurate as possible, with 25mm extra ment you have no danger of touching with -4.5 camber. I found that -4.5 camber was to expensive on tire wear so I settled for -3.5. No problem at the rear, no spacer required with the upside down cortex setup.
So 'technically' i could run the 18mm spacer since i don't plan on doing more than -3.5 of camber. (i know there is no way for you to know this answer lol). Is there a negative to running the 25mm spacer?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
No negatives at all to proper hubcentric spacers. Most of us here do. Had a doubt so I just went out to check, my spacer is a 15mm from OP Mustang, not a 25mm. the 25mm is for those without the Cortex offset struts. I put the 15mm in for the extra space mentioned above.

Sorry about that!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel