The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 05 4.6 3v NA Track Build in Progress, Dark Horse Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
United States
Nice to see another 3 valve on here. Be sure to check out Project Superbeater for some tips, and things to avoid along the way.
Welcome to the sight.
Nice! Got mine at about 162k and almost completely bone stock. It's at about 193k now, and still running strong.

I definitely felt your pain about the AC crapping out, as I live in Florida as well (although I'm moving to the Northeast some time next year). My compressor kinda seized and went kaboom, and sent shrapnel through all of my AC internals. Had to get all new AC components.

Other than the old 3 valve spark plug problem (mine are definitely not the stock 2 piece anymore) and 3 inch brake ducts being much easier to install over 4 inch, what else would you recommend avoiding?

Nice! Got mine at about 162k and almost completely bone stock. It's at about 193k now, and still running strong.

I definitely felt your pain about the AC crapping out, as I live in Florida as well (although I'm moving to the Northeast some time next year). My compressor kinda seized and went kaboom, and sent shrapnel through all of my AC internals. Had to get all new AC components.

Other than the old 3 valve spark plug problem (mine are definitely not the stock 2 piece anymore) and 3 inch brake ducts being much easier to install over 4 inch, what else would you recommend avoiding?
There is a cooling mod on there someplace that will be important.
I'd avoid the spark plugs AND breaking the through bolt in the diff. I'd definately avoid that..lol

This..

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
United States
This..
Hmmm, my sister has an 08 mustang GT... lol

So, if I understand correctly, this mod makes the thermostat open when it actually should, and the early S197's created too much pressure in the heater cores at high rpm and would pop them?

Last edited:
Yes, basically, it improves the t stats reaction, and up grades the under plenum tubing, some of those cars already have a built in restrictor, some do not, they all need one. The fan mod is also a must
FWIW, all that was created by " JEFF F" an engineer on the old FR500C program at Ford.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel