The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

315 R6s on all four corners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just upgraded to a Cortex X-treme grip street system with JRi coilovers. The 18x11" CCWs (8-inch backspacing) are hitting the spring perches in the rear. I'm bummed :( talking with Filip & John right now trying to find a solution. Looks like I'll either have to swap to DA could in the rear, or change out from the 2.5" springs to 2.25", or just shorter springs overall. They're just touching, so even a little clearance should solve it. Other option is to send the 11's back to CCW and exchange for 10.5s. But The 305s seem to get more rubber to the ground with the 11s. UGH.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
LTNYC said:
I just upgraded to a Cortex X-treme grip street system with JRi coilovers. The 18x11" CCWs (8-inch backspacing) are hitting the spring perches in the rear. I'm bummed :( talking with Filip & John right now trying to find a solution. Looks like I'll either have to swap to DA could in the rear, or change out from the 2.5" springs to 2.25", or just shorter springs overall. They're just touching, so even a little clearance should solve it. Other option is to send the 11's back to CCW and exchange for 10.5s. But The 305s seem to get more rubber to the ground with the 11s. UGH.

Is there enough room in the fenderwell to run a small wheel spacer?

LTNYC, one option is to mount the springs in the factory location and to flip the shock upside down. You'll get gobs of room this way. If it makes you feel better, I got the blessing from JRi and Filip to run it this way. The wheel rate isn't as consistent with the springs mounted inboard, but you can fit big 12" wide wheels in the back with the new space. See below

Clearance with the rear coilover as it comes from cortex:

bejuzuby.jpg

Clearance after divorcing the spring from the shock and flipping it upside down:

a2y5egat.jpg

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
neema said:
LTNYC, one option is to mount the springs in the factory location and to flip the shock upside down. You'll get gobs of room this way. If it makes you feel better, I got the blessing from JRi and Filip to run it this way. The wheel rate isn't as consistent with the springs mounted inboard, but you can fit big 12" wide wheels in the back with the new space. See below

bejuzuby.jpg

Clearance after divorcing the spring from the shock and flipping it upside down:

a2y5egat.jpg

This is how my MM JRi DA rear shock/springs are setup, there is a good amount of clearance between the sidewall and the shock shaft. You have to account for a slight change in motion rate since the spring on the axle is closer to the control arm pivot point there is less leverage. Spring rate should be a little softer on the axle than on the shock. Probably not enough to worry about though.
Steve

ArizonaBOSS said:
Is there enough room in the fenderwell to run a small wheel spacer?

Yeah I had considered that but the wheels are already flush to outer fender, so I'd need to roll fenders. But then it's more stress on the bearings too

Good to know! I didn't even know this was an option. Will this increase wear and tear prematurely though, since this isn't how these components are really meant to be placed?

neema said:

bejuzuby.jpg

a2y5egat.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
LTNYC said:
Yeah I had considered that but the wheels are already flush to outer fender, so I'd need to roll fenders. But then it's more stress on the bearings too

I am figuring to have my fenders rolled in February just for peace of mind here.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
roadhouse said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't the fenders on our cars already rolled from the factory?

They're pretty good already but you can flare them out a little bit more w/ the roller.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
We'll find out. I have a body shop buddy that will do it for an agreeable price.

10891648_10155033634035022_5429679381945970466_n.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
JScheier said:
Heat. Make sure you have access to a good heat gun and use it.

For sure. Good article on this on Turnology.com today.

LTNYC said:
Good to know! I didn't even know this was an option. Will this increase wear and tear prematurely though, since this isn't how these components are really meant to be placed?

The shocks are happy to be mounted either way, and 2.5" will work just fine on the axle (it is the stock location after all). the caveat is that you'll need weight jackers/threaded spring perches to maintain adjustability. Vorshlag has some for sale.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
ArizonaBOSS said:
For sure. Good article on this on Turnology.com today.
Drew
At the body shop have them aim their infrared drying lamps at the corner you are doing and preheat it for 30 minutes. Then use the heat gun and roller to stretch them out. Heat makes it all more flexible and less chance of cracking the paint or kinking the sheetmetal. It will come out smooth and almost look factory. You can probably push it out 3/8" on the quarters and 1/2" or more on the fender arches.
Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
steveespo said:
Drew
At the body shop have them aim their infrared drying lamps at the corner you are doing and preheat it for 30 minutes. Then use the heat gun and roller to stretch them out. Heat makes it all more flexible and less chance of cracking the paint or kinking the sheetmetal. It will come out smooth and almost look factory. You can probably push it out 3/8" on the quarters and 1/2" or more on the fender arches.
Steve
not a bad idea; thanks!

neema said:
The shocks are happy to be mounted either way, and 2.5" will work just fine on the axle (it is the stock location after all). the caveat is that you'll need weight jackers/threaded spring perches to maintain adjustability. Vorshlag has some for sale.

Switching to double adjustables for a bit more clearance! Filip didn't recomment the divorce

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel