The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FoxBody 89STANG Build Thread Profile - Fox Body Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
Here's a picture of the other side. This one didn't crack but you can see the coloration in the rotor. To me the swept area got really, really hot. The hat/hub not so much.

20231004_142422.jpg

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Is that a solid, unvented rotor? Blowing air at the inside of the hat is meant to feed cool air into the vanes of a vented rotor, it's not going to be anywhere near as effective on a solid rotor. It might keep your wheel bearings cooler. I'd look at a way to get the air to both inside & outside of the swept area of the rotor. Or convert to a vented rotor.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
They are vented rotors. And I am asking alot of them. I have hesitated making the swap to anything else because my wheels fit without rubbing anything the way they sit. With my luck, I know that as I start changing things the wheels will rub and then I go down the rabbit hole of trying to get it back spending more money than I want or have.

I have started looking at this front kit as well as their rear. I am still running factory drums in the rear. I have started conversation with them about the ruggedness of their brackets for road course use.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pennsylvania
Hi,

Nice car! I have been looking at that kit also for the fronts. Like you said I would prefer to not spend all the time and effort to make all the changes required for 5 lug: 94-9 SN 95 spindles, rear axles, wheels change and the effort and $$$ to make everything work.

I have only had my car for 1 year, is not as heavily modified as yours and it is used for HPDE and AuotX. Engine is stock, suspension has been modified using MM track pack and has 3.73 gears. I have changed my rear brakes to 93 cobra discs with updated MC kit from MM. Got SSBC kit from NPD with sloted and vented rotors. I did not know of Foxbodybrakes.com at the time and LMR was out of stock when I made the change. I use stock front brakes with HP + pads, rears are HPS. I did crack a set of Fox Talon front rotors but was warned that drilled rotors are bad for track and did not want to spend $$$ for slotted front rotors. I got 8 track days before the talon rotors split- 3 at Pocono, 1 each at Lime Rock, VIR and Nelson Ledges. I don't get the speeds that you do but I have run at Pocono, 2 long straights with about 120 mph top speeds. I have adjusted the Proportioning valve to get straight braking action and my disc temps runs about 325- 350 F front and rear after a 20-25 minute run. I have run the car at an AutoX, Pinview Run and Summit Point Jefferson since changing to blank rotors and have not had any warping or splitting of the front rotors. My thinking is that it a lot cheaper to swap blank rotors than make the upgrade to my brakes.

I'm wondering if maybe changing your rear brakes to discs that might help you with the stress you are putting on the fronts? When I was building the car Chuck at MM warned me about using race pads on this brake setup. He told me that even with venting the rotors would overheat and crack due to the mass of the front hub. What he described is just what it looks like is happening to you. He did warn me that as my skills increased that the front brakes would frustrate me and I would have to upgrade them. I don't think my skill set is quite there yet. I also am planning on running Watkins Glen next summer and that place is HARD on brakes.

I think it is time to get better fronts and I am thinking very hard and long about the Foxbodybrakes.com. kit. I tried asking about this kit in a couple of forums and haven't heard anything. I like the idea of getting the cobra front brakes without the hassle. Have you decided to pursue this option? My car is not going to be on track until the spring so this is the time for me to add this to my off season list of mods.

Looking forward to your thoughts about this kit.

Thanks!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
Hi,

Nice car! I have been looking at that kit also for the fronts. Like you said I would prefer to not spend all the time and effort to make all the changes required for 5 lug: 94-9 SN 95 spindles, rear axles, wheels change and the effort and $$$ to make everything work.

I have only had my car for 1 year, is not as heavily modified as yours and it is used for HPDE and AuotX. Engine is stock, suspension has been modified using MM track pack and has 3.73 gears. I have changed my rear brakes to 93 cobra discs with updated MC kit from MM. Got SSBC kit from NPD with sloted and vented rotors. I did not know of Foxbodybrakes.com at the time and LMR was out of stock when I made the change. I use stock front brakes with HP + pads, rears are HPS. I did crack a set of Fox Talon front rotors but was warned that drilled rotors are bad for track and did not want to spend $$$ for slotted front rotors. I got 8 track days before the talon rotors split- 3 at Pocono, 1 each at Lime Rock, VIR and Nelson Ledges. I don't get the speeds that you do but I have run at Pocono, 2 long straights with about 120 mph top speeds. I have adjusted the Proportioning valve to get straight braking action and my disc temps runs about 325- 350 F front and rear after a 20-25 minute run. I have run the car at an AutoX, Pinview Run and Summit Point Jefferson since changing to blank rotors and have not had any warping or splitting of the front rotors. My thinking is that it a lot cheaper to swap blank rotors than make the upgrade to my brakes.

I'm wondering if maybe changing your rear brakes to discs that might help you with the stress you are putting on the fronts? When I was building the car Chuck at MM warned me about using race pads on this brake setup. He told me that even with venting the rotors would overheat and crack due to the mass of the front hub. What he described is just what it looks like is happening to you. He did warn me that as my skills increased that the front brakes would frustrate me and I would have to upgrade them. I don't think my skill set is quite there yet. I also am planning on running Watkins Glen next summer and that place is HARD on brakes.

I think it is time to get better fronts and I am thinking very hard and long about the Foxbodybrakes.com. kit. I tried asking about this kit in a couple of forums and haven't heard anything. I like the idea of getting the cobra front brakes without the hassle. Have you decided to pursue this option? My car is not going to be on track until the spring so this is the time for me to add this to my off season list of mods.

Looking forward to your thoughts about this kit.

Thanks!
I think changing just the rear brakes to disk would be a huge benefit, but my front calipers need replacing as well as the rotors so I might as well just bite the bullet and get it all done.

My plan was to just go with blanks as well until I stumbled across Foxbodybrakes. I am 100% going to run his stuff. He is double checking stock though as he had some front hubs that were machined to take larger bearings than stock. If he has those, that is what I'm getting. If not, the little bearings haven't failed me yet. He is also going to supply me with non-slotted/non-vented rotors. I'm still going to take a spare set to the track though.

The last item I am trying to figure out is if I want to switch to full manual brakes. My brake booster is leaking so I have about half the help I should. I have removed the vacuum tube completely and really didn't notice it on track (when Hawk saw my pads, they said I must never miss leg day, lol). It is noticeable on the street but not much.

My car gets washed tomorrow, then put up on jackstands for the winter. 6 months to get the brakes done.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pennsylvania
Hi,
Wondering if you got the brake package yet? If you did what do you think of the quality?

I am planning on ordering fronts with slotted rotors next week. Also getting a spare set of rotors. He is deleting pads as I'm going order hp plus from hawk as they seem to work for me at my current skill set.

I have a new unused master cylinder from my rear ssbc disc conversion if you are interested. Conversion is 93 cobra and 87-88 tbird turbo coupe. Not sure of bore size, you can see it listed with kit on npd website. I didn't use it as I went with 93 cobra mc kit from MM which should work with this kit. Think I'm too old to go without pb!

If you are planning on fabricating an update to your brake cooling disc inlets I would be interested in buying some from you if it would help defray your costs.

Car going out for rollbar install in a couple of weeks, planning on doing brakes when it returns. I like the idea of the larger bearings, I'm going to see if those are available. My plan for this winter is safety, better brakes, better air inlet and better flowing exhaust.

Like pic of your car on track. This is at Nelson Ledges.

Dick

1693251718294blob-2.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
Hi,
Wondering if you got the brake package yet? If you did what do you think of the quality?

I am planning on ordering fronts with slotted rotors next week. Also getting a spare set of rotors. He is deleting pads as I'm going order hp plus from hawk as they seem to work for me at my current skill set.

I have a new unused master cylinder from my rear ssbc disc conversion if you are interested. Conversion is 93 cobra and 87-88 tbird turbo coupe. Not sure of bore size, you can see it listed with kit on npd website. I didn't use it as I went with 93 cobra mc kit from MM which should work with this kit. Think I'm too old to go without pb!

If you are planning on fabricating an update to your brake cooling disc inlets I would be interested in buying some from you if it would help defray your costs.

Car going out for rollbar install in a couple of weeks, planning on doing brakes when it returns. I like the idea of the larger bearings, I'm going to see if those are available. My plan for this winter is safety, better brakes, better air inlet and better flowing exhaust.

Like pic of your car on track. This is at Nelson Ledges.

Dick

View attachment 91266
I just paid for the kit yesterday. Front and rears with master and prop valve and ARP studs. I also ordered a spare set of front discs. I went solid all around. I also order Hawk DTC-60 for the front and DTC-30 for the rear. He did have the larger snout hubs, not sure how many he has in stock as they were a custom build. Once I look at the kit and construction I may order a spare. I'm still trying to decide if I want to go manual brakes.

I will be making new cooling inlets as I used the dust cover bolts for my mount, which the new caliper mount uses. I'll let you know how that part comes along and fab extras if I can.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
I just paid for the kit yesterday. Front and rears with master and prop valve and ARP studs. I also ordered a spare set of front discs. I went solid all around. I also order Hawk DTC-60 for the front and DTC-30 for the rear. He did have the larger snout hubs, not sure how many he has in stock as they were a custom build. Once I look at the kit and construction I may order a spare. I'm still trying to decide if I want to go manual brakes.

I will be making new cooling inlets as I used the dust cover bolts for my mount, which the new caliper mount uses. I'll let you know how that part comes along and fab extras if I can.
I got the kit yesterday. Heres a video of the kit.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pennsylvania
Got my 4 lug front kit today. I'm very impressed by quality of parts, packaging, ordering process and instructions. Looking forward to starting install after holidays. I also ordered hubs with larger bearings.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
Got my 4 lug front kit today. I'm very impressed by quality of parts, packaging, ordering process and instructions. Looking forward to starting install after holidays. I also ordered hubs with larger bearings.
I've got my entire stock system removed. I'm going to clean a few things up and then layout the new parts accordingly. Then I'll slowly start putting it all on. Exciting times.

I've gotten lots of ridicule for sticking with 4 lug. What were your reasons for that decision?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pennsylvania
I've got my entire stock system removed. I'm going to clean a few things up and then layout the new parts accordingly. Then I'll slowly start putting it all on. Exciting times.

I've gotten lots of ridicule for sticking with 4 lug. What were your reasons for that decision?
Similar to yours. Didn't want to hunt down (or pay price for) 94-95 spindles, expense of changing rear axles, rear brakes (again), wheels and etc. My research indicated that 4 lug is good for up to 300hp and my intent is to stay within that range. I use car mostly for hpde and am going to wait for my skill set to exceed the cars ability. Then I will make changes to power but don't think I will exceed that rating. Power train is mostly stock at this time. I am going to make some minor intake and exhaust changes this winter to help it breath a little better. Don't intend to do any w2w or drag racing so have no intention of going down that rabbit hole.

I'm using car to explore different tracks and just have fun. Did autox for about 6 years and don't really enjoy the competitive part. Just an old guy who wants to drive his car fast. I just let the corvettes and fast mustangs go by and enjoy driving my slow car fast. Learned in a Miata so nice to have some more power on demand.

Also this kit allows changing to 5 lug if desired or needed.

Have u put any thoughts into cooling ducts? Seems like center of hub is where hose needs to go to. I'm hoping to look closer when I start installing. Car out for rollbar install and should be back next week. Will start install then.

Happy holidays!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
I got the ARP wheel studs pressed in to the axles so I can button the rear end back up. Did a little trial run installing the front hub and brakes to check for any clearance issues. So far all clear. Hoping to get the rear brakes fully installed tomorrow and get the rest of the front spindle modification done. Also making plans for my super stealth brake proportioning valve install.

20231223_185019.jpg

20231223_185101.jpg

20231223_210129.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
Just getting this done was harder than I imagined. The knobs are made to be put on last when assembling the dash and the indicator ends are wider than the circumference of the dial hole. So I had to make careful reliefs that won't be as noticeable when installed since the prop valve with knob will be hard mounted before the trim goes on.

20231224_123431.jpg

20231224_123447.jpg

20231224_123454.jpg

20231224_123501.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pennsylvania
Just getting this done was harder than I imagined. The knobs are made to be put on last when assembling the dash and the indicator ends are wider than the circumference of the dial hole. So I had to make careful reliefs that won't be as noticeable when installed since the prop valve with knob will be hard mounted before the trim goes on.

View attachment 92061

View attachment 92062

View attachment 92063

View attachment 92064
Very ambitious! I just put mine under hood.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
Got the spindles modified. Now starting to mock up brake cooling duct plates. I've seen some that were level with the face of the rotor, inside the hat and some that stood off from the face and werea quarter inch larger diameter than the open hat area. I would think option two would put some cooling onto the face which isn't optimal. Which way is best?
20231228_064738.jpg

20231228_070424.jpg

20231229_050001.jpg

20231229_195255.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
Picked up a hauler today. Only $1300! I've always had to borrow trucks. Still have to borrow the trailer but getting closer to being self-sufficient.
132000 miles, 15 passenger, so I can take some seats out and make a tool storage area and still have room to carry the kids.

received_232257879823850.jpeg

Well done on the van.
At some point you will probably have to gravitate to the Cobra R brakes. Which will require 5 lugs and new wheels... big expense, unfortunately.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
Well done on the van.
At some point you will probably have to gravitate to the Cobra R brakes. Which will require 5 lugs and new wheels... big expense, unfortunately.
Hoping this will get me a few years at least before I exceed the capacity of these brakes.

I got the entire kit installed other than modifying the hard brake lines. Taking the project one step at a time.

20240101_163118.jpg

20240101_163140.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors