The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Adjustable Shocks....what is everyone running for their adjustable shock setup? Comments on brands and and pros and cons "2019 Full track build"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Circle Track
Exp. Level
20+ Years
California
What is everyone running for their adjustable shock setup? There is a number of brands from Koni to Roush out there, if your running double adjustables and adjustable ride heights please let me know I'm working on a "2019 Full track build" Comments on brands and and pros and cons wanted before I pull the trigger on a set. Thanks

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
For an S550 full-on track build, I'd look at the Penske kits that Cortex Engineering is offering, and the MCS kits from Vorshlag. No personal experience, but from threads here they seem to be the go-to solutions from trusted, knowledgable vendors.

I believe @67GTA is using the Cortex Penske setup on his S197 and likes them alot.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would echo Dave's note except I would definitely recommend MCS over the Penske's. Having used them at the Dealership I used to work at, having had them on a couple of my cars and my son's EVO9 , they are fantastic, but they also seem to need less revalving, etc. of the Penske's. Both are solid units , but the service we had with MCS was beyond par and my Boss 302S Fabricator who had wrenched on F5000, Indy Cars, Mustangs, Gridlife and was a killer driver himself was blown away when he dyno'd them --- and he was a Penske diehard till then.

Exp. Type
Circle Track
Exp. Level
20+ Years
California
its one of the biggest it depends question to me, it depends on how much money you are willing to spend, my daily that I do HPDE events with has FortuneAuto 500's on it. I like the upgrade path available for them.
thanks for the info, I contacted them and they do not have anything for gt350's

Working with Vorshlag Jason or Fillip at Cortex is a pleasure you can't go wrong with what they sell and customer service is very good. I chose the JRi two way coil overs front and rear and they made such a massive difference in handling its nuts. MCS, JRi, Penske, you are talking about boutique high end stuff.

Bay Area
I’d look into what MMR has to offer with MCS. They are a great company to work with and will always pick up the phone. I have used them for a lot of upgrades and thus far, I haven’t had any issues.

In the V6L
What is everyone running for their adjustable shock setup? There is a number of brands from Koni to Roush out there, if your running double adjustables and adjustable ride heights please let me know I'm working on a "2019 Full track build" Comments on brands and and pros and cons wanted before I pull the trigger on a set. Thanks
A question and an observation:

- your build thread calls out a Gen3 block - did you lower the displacement to 5.0 to use a Gen3 Coyote block? Or did you switch to a GT500 block? Just curious...

- I'd be surprised if you didn't know this already, but to run standard dampers, unless you have a base 2016 GT350 that came from the factory without the coolers and magride, etc, you'll need a "magride delete kit". The kit fools the magride controller into thinking it's still got dampers to control. Without it, the various Track, etc settings will be unavailable. Presumably, when you contacted MCS, they didn't have a GT350 setup because they don't have a magride defeat kit to go with it. Once you have one of those kits, you can run any dampers that'll work with an S550 Mustang.

The Penskes are the gold standard, anything less than about a $5K investment is probably not worth the money. If you can do the Penskes, I would take a look at the JRI

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would definitely look at MCS.My fabricator who helped with Indycar, TransAm, Gridlife and more swears by Penske's, but when he installed a set of MCS shocks on my Boss 302S he dyno'd them and swore they were equal to Penske's. We used a bunch at my old job on Vipers and they were nearly indestructible.
Two brands you can't go wrong on in my estimation, Penske and MCS.

TMO Supporting Vendors