The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Another reason not to buy a Z/28?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon302 said:
Guessing all of those stickers didn't help with the skill at all.
He did place 2nd at the event: https://www.facebook.com/kenthwaits?fref=photo

And according to jalopnik was leading the timed Hot Lap Challenge: http://jalopnik.com/first-camaro-z-28-track-crash-results-in-concerned-call-1595373953

When Ken crashed, he was leading the time attack style BFGoodrich Hot Lap Challenge, and pushed it just that much too far. I say that, but in all honesty the move the car made did have some of us wondering if a suspension component failure could have been to blame. Until they get it back to the shop, we won't know.

It could happen to any of us.........

cloud9 said:
He did place 2nd at the event: https://www.facebook.com/kenthwaits?fref=photo

And according to jalopnik was leading the timed Hot Lap Challenge: http://jalopnik.com/first-camaro-z-28-track-crash-results-in-concerned-call-1595373953

When Ken crashed, he was leading the time attack style BFGoodrich Hot Lap Challenge, and pushed it just that much too far. I say that, but in all honesty the move the car made did have some of us wondering if a suspension component failure could have been to blame. Until they get it back to the shop, we won't know.

That's true, though it looked like he lifted as it began to spin, plus it began slipping in the gear prior to him spinning it.

DEye

You can't get there from here...
Going by the sound that accompanies that video he got on the gas hard, shifted still Hard on the throttle .... An the rest as they say is history... Sad.

Grant 302 said:
2 car crashes don't make a trend, but it does seem a little easy to over-cook and spin.

I wonder if the original video footage with Randy Pobst had some info why he thought the Boss put the power down better...
2 out of maybe 6? ;)

I was surprised by Randys comment as well. And the Trefeo R tire is much stickier.

cloud9 said:

Only a matter of time!

There will be that day where we're a little tired, less focused, maybe a little dehydrated as well, and the car bites us at that right second!

cosm3os said:
Trust me--you learn it the first time you screw it up! I did going sideways off the "jump" at Grattan. Haven't lifted since!!

Even then, staying in it is not guarantee you'll reel it in! Trust me, I know. :p

ShelbyBash2013019_zps1893e455.jpg

ShelbyBash2013009_zpsddb403b9.jpg

Learned the lesson real good after my second spin out on pit road. Having said that I am sure I will do it again. :)

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
cosm3os said:
The first rule is "stay ahead of the car"!

This.

Hands need to be faster than the car's ass. Hands/arms are the first to tire (at least for me) and reaction times go up or get slower. Also know how your personal limits change through the session and the day...or even the weekend.

This.
This.
This.
Everyone makes mistakes; Boss, Vette, Viper, Z/28, Nascar, F1, Rally, Etc. Just learn from them. :)

Am I wrong in seeing that in both crashes, there were track imperfections at least partially at the root of the issues?

It is easy to build a car with an overly stiff suspension that will pull magnificent skidpad/slalom numbers on a glass smooth track, it is a lot harder to build a car with spring/damper tuning providing some small bump compliance that also pulls magnificent magazine skidpad/slalom numbers.

My 100% stock, non-LS Boss seems to put the power down in almost all track situations, and has pretty good small bump absorption. I love it.

Another comment: We here in the Denver metro area are blessed with our local road course at High Plains Raceway. It is just about the safest track imaginable, with huge slide off areas. It would freak me out to drive some of the tracks I see on YouTube where retaining walls are only 30 feet off the tarmac. As it has been said, there are only two kinds of drivers at track days - those that have slid off the course, and those that are going to slide off the course. I don't have the cash to be hitting retaining walls.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
NFSBOSS said:
We were running the older East course at Thunderhill and it's as smooth as a baby's bottom. It also has a lot of safe runoff room as shown in the video. He was doing 70+ when his rear let loose.

Yep it is obvious in the video he made a rookie mistake by not unwinding the wheel on track out to the curbing. After that he was going for a ride. Try that at Sebring, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen etc. and you will be buying a new car.

Peter

OLOABoss said:
Yep it is obvious in the video he made a rookie mistake by not unwinding the wheel on track out to the curbing. After that he was going for a ride. Try that at Sebring, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen etc. and you will be buying a new car.

Peter
Yep, was thinking the same thing about RA. That move in the kink would have turned him into a pinball.

coboss said:
Am I wrong in seeing that in both crashes, there were track imperfections at least partially at the root of the issues?

It is easy to build a car with an overly stiff suspension that will pull magnificent skidpad/slalom numbers on a glass smooth track, it is a lot harder to build a car with spring/damper tuning providing some small bump compliance that also pulls magnificent magazine skidpad/slalom numbers.

My 100% stock, non-LS Boss seems to put the power down in almost all track situations, and has pretty good small bump absorption. I love it.

Another comment: We here in the Denver metro area are blessed with our local road course at High Plains Raceway. It is just about the safest track imaginable, with huge slide off areas. It would freak me out to drive some of the tracks I see on YouTube where retaining walls are only 30 feet off the tarmac. As it has been said, there are only two kinds of drivers at track days - those that have slid off the course, and those that are going to slide off the course. I don't have the cash to be hitting retaining walls.

I partially blame the mag suspension. A good regular damper performs the same every time there is a force on it. The computer controlled suspension in these things dynamically changes all the time. Since it is programmed by humans it is imperfect and there has to be some set of conditions in which it will not be setting the correct stiffness. And there has to be filtering and PID control in there to keep it from going unstable every time there is a transient sensor reading. That creates a delay from the time the sensor reading happens to the damper stiffness change. Especially when you are going 70+ over a rumble strip that spikes sensor readings all over the place and are already over it by they time the system reacts. I will stick with my good old mechanical damper. Why do us engineers have to over complicate things???

WinterSucks said:
I partially blame the mag suspension. A good regular damper performs the same every time there is a force on it. The computer controlled suspension in these things dynamically changes all the time. Since it is programmed by humans it is imperfect and there has to be some set of conditions in which it will not be setting the correct stiffness. And there has to be filtering and PID control in there to keep it from going unstable every time there is a transient sensor reading. That creates a delay from the time the sensor reading happens to the damper stiffness change. Especially when you are going 70+ over a rumble strip that spikes sensor readings all over the place and are already over it by they time the system reacts. I will stick with my good old mechanical damper. Why do us engineers have to over complicate things???
Maybe but the Z/28 doesn't have Mag or electronically controlled suspension. It's Multimatic's DSSV technology and it's arguably the best damper technology available. It's not even adjustable by the driver. It's set for one purpose and that's to go fast through corners and that's the area the Z/28 excels in. Combine that with the Trefeo R tires and the Z is capable of amazing speed at corner exit. Note in my video how he pulls me off of every corner. Maybe DSSV dampers will be available on the new 2016 GT350.

http://www.camaronews.com/camaronews-bloggers/camaro-z28-multimatic-suspension-to-be-used-in-upcoming-mercedes-amg-slc/

TMO Supporting Vendors