The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing shifter support/ drive shaft loop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I got tired of the Ford "mystery shifter" in the Shelby (fact is, I actually owned a Hurst mystery shifter in my 56 chevy) so my wife bought the Blowfish bracket for Christmas (yeah, I know, she got tired of me whining so she said I could open it early).
The short story is I'm very happy with the product, easy to install makes a huge difference in how the car shifts. It was a nice day so I took about an hour to install it, very straightforward. If there was a glitch, it was, in my application, having 2 exhaust mounts on the trans cross member. It took a little love to work around them without removing the exhaust. Blowfish installs 2 bolts on the mount that are retained by speed nuts, the reason is so you can't forget to install them at the proper time, because forgetting them would be a PITA. In my application, it was easier to remove the speednuts, so I could push them up and wiggle the cross member in place, lining up the rubber exhaust mounts, then let them drop back down. As far as glitches go, that was an extremely minor one, but it was easier to remove them before attempting to install the cross member, rather than during.
So I've already recommended these units to a couple of friends of mine, I don't know why the factory didn't do this to begin with.

Because Steve is smarter than Ford! lol Not only did he invent that brilliant product but he's already fab'd or invented a few custom parts for my car I couldn't do without. Recently, he created a new torsen spacer block (in two halves) that could be installed in pieces to clear my taller 4.56 gears (otherwise 4.56 gears incompatible with a torsen). Designed, milled, hardened and installed in less than 2 days!

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
Installed this shifter bracket today on my Shelby. The install went pretty easy as following the instructions(had the car on ramps so a littl more diff than a lift).Only difficult part was tightening the 2 bolts attaching the 2 black brackets that slide over the stock end of the shifter. Called Steve about it and he told me how to get to them by loosening the 2 bolts that hold the bracket just under it. Thanks Steve! Took the car out for a littl blast(bad timing too much traffic) but managed to bang out a couple shifts. They felt more precise than before but still had play(wiggle) when in gear. Transmitted more noise and vibration inside do to lack of rubber in those areas,but all good cause...Racecar...lol. Thanks

Cobrarob said:
Installed this shifter bracket today on my Shelby. The install went pretty easy as following the instructions(had the car on ramps so a littl more diff than a lift).Only difficult part was tightening the 2 bolts attaching the 2 black brackets that slide over the stock end of the shifter. Called Steve about it and he told me how to get to them by loosening the 2 bolts that hold the bracket just under it. Thanks Steve! Took the car out for a littl blast(bad timing too much traffic) but managed to bang out a couple shifts. They felt more precise than before but still had play(wiggle) when in gear. Transmitted more noise and vibration inside do to lack of rubber in those areas,but all good cause...Racecar...lol. Thanks

Would you guys recommend this on a race built MT82 (Liberty)? or would you go with the MGW shifter?? I believe it does a similar thing.

Also, what is lighter weight?

Finally, anyone ever hook up a cooling system to the MT82? I know, its a transit van transmission! but it might have something out there.

twistedneck said:
Would you guys recommend this on a race built MT82 (Liberty)? or would you go with the MGW shifter?? I believe it does a similar thing.

Finally, anyone ever hook up a cooling system to the MT82? I know, its a transit van transmission! but it might have something out there.
Member @steveespo did a nice write up on how he installed a trans cooler in the thread below.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=8132.0

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
twistedneck said:

Sorry for the late response.My buddy has the MGW on his 12Gt,to me they feel both precise on shifts but the MGW feels stiffer
when goin thru the gears.( Less play in the shifter handle) Ddint weigh it but it's built
strong. You take off the isolator bushing so it offsets the diff. Hope this helps

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel