The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Boss Transmission Issues Poll Discussion Thread

5 DOT 0 said:
Boomerstoys said:
First off: Thanks for getting this poll up.
Thanks. It was a group effort and several other members had good ideas that I incorporated into the poll. I wanted to try (as hard as that may be) to keep it objective as possible in the hopes that someone at Ford will be able to gather some useful information from it.

Boomerstoys said:
PS: I love my Boss!
So do I regardless of these issues. I know many others do too. :)

Yes it is or would be very hard to replace it I have looked at several gt500's and just cant give up the boss so I'll just stick another 10,000 into it and fix the things that ford sucked on:)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

5 DOT 0 said:
Justin said:
I think the transmission/shifter isnt the issue with the lock out and pedal atleast not in my car. Its the Pressure plate, pedal assembly and hydraulic/throw out bearing design. All three mediocre parts work fine when they are all new and crisp...one starts to wear and now you have shifting problems....
I agree. Did you have issues at the strip this past week?
yeah locked out of fourth clutch stuck to the fire wall

This may help one day https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

To recap where we are at this point in time:

Poll responses: 60
No shifting problems reported: only 11
No clutch problems reported: only 16
Documented problems with dealer: only 12

I encourage anyone that has had issues and has not had it documented at your dealer to do so as soon as possible. There is no way Ford is going to know there are issues unless you report them. Even if someone from Ford reads this thread they won't act on it if there aren't enough documented complaints filed. I know the dealers won't be able to replicate most of these problems but at least complain about it and have it documented on your car.

jeepinocala said:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml
You need to document it with the dealer first.

I can see it now:

Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
Was there an Injury or Fatality? No
Did you get passed by a Miata on the straight when you missed a shift? Yes

Well mine was in traffic and I just put close call no crash. But it cant hurt. I have told my service manager what else to do? I am really not sure I want them touching the car unless ford comes up with a solution otherwise it's just guy's at the dealer taking your car apart and you know how that can be. I am half on edge with this part of me says just replace the entire clutch system including the slave and the other side says make ford fix their own problems and that problem is simple ford figures two year run why care.

BossOwner

Old fart that likes going fast!

Build date found on inside your drivers door:
Do you have skip shift disabled (2011/2012 owners only)? Yes, No or NA As I only drive with the Red key - Yes
Have you replaced your transmission fluid? If yes what did you install? Yes - Same as factory
Have you replaced your brake fluid? If yes what did you install? No
Have you installed an aftermarket shifter? Yes - Steeda TriAxe
Have you installed an aftermarket shifter bracket? Yes - Steeda TriAxe
Have you installed an aftermarket clutch line? No
Have you installed an aftermarket clutch? If yes what did you install? No
Have you tracked your car? Track, autocross or strip? Strip only to date
If you've had any warranty work completed related to your clutch or transmission please describe as briefly as possible. Yes - Syncro went out on 5th gear & 5th gear broke. Dealer replaced entire transmission, no problems to date with new trans. Ford stood behind their warrantry with no questions asked.
Have you removed your clutch assist spring? No
Do you own a Boss or GT? 2012 Boss 302

Ok that must be a hint will get my crap in gear and figure the build date out ;D I was sitting here having a few drinks thinking hey ford kiss my ass ;D Then thought damn thats a badass car ;D Cant seem to find a meaner car for the money so Ill just say damn ford your costing me a shi- load of money on all these after market fix parts to your junk crap youve bolted on our cars ;D In the old days we did this once a year go kart race when I used to race them we were friends with the track owner so we had a off season beer race you would do 2 laps go to the pits drink a beer then two more and so on until there was pretty much one kart left ;D damn maybe that would fix the clutch issue cause anything that would hold up to that was badass ;D Ok going in for another ford you suck but the boss is pretty cool ;D

hotstart302 said:
Hey guys, My 2 cents worth. I have 1700 miles on sby 159. I love this car. I love driving it, but the stock shifter is JUNK!! On just about every shift exercise requiring 3 or more shifts at least 1 would fail to complete with hard acceleration. With the way the stock shifter is set up, heavy acceleration would some how miss align the shift gates and at best lock out, at worse go into a lower gear.

A call to MGW will fix every problem except the clunky gears. That seems to be a characteristic of the beast. After installing mine and adding 1" extension to the shifter shaft, it appears to be just fine. I say appears because I only have about 3 day of testing.

see ya

I have almost 20k on mine now. I had alot of issues shifting when I first got it doing high RPM runs but I now think it was just getting used to the shift. You must know that I traded in a manual Focus for this beast and my previous manual was a 1993 GT that I had to trade-in back in 95. So from the Focus to this is heaven. With that said I have been paying close attention to your problems since I seem to be one of the higher mileage cars. I seem to have none of the lock out/kick out issues or clutch sticking. The only thing I have done is miss a few shifts at the higher revs. No mods as of yet. I do tend to burn about a qrt of oil every 5k.

Ford says burning 1 qt every 3000 miles is normal, per my dealer that is looking into my oil consumption

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84

My transmission whines like a supercharger.it did it when new and has gotten worse.

I've have 2-3 lockout everytime I shift near 7,000. MGW solved and fixed.

I have notchyness from 1-2.

Have not taken to dealer for any issues yet, but I am.

Im at 3,700 miles. Car is stock except shifter.

How many have the transmisssion whine? And is there a remedy?

unrealford said:
My transmission whines like a supercharger.it did it when new and has gotten worse.

I've have 2-3 lockout everytime I shift near 7,000. MGW solved and fixed.

I have notchyness from 1-2.

Have not taken to dealer for any issues yet, but I am.

Im at 3,700 miles. Car is stock except shifter.

How many have the transmisssion whine? And is there a remedy?

When I first installed the mgw I had a slight wine but after a few weeks it broke in and wine was gone from there.

Interesting.
I was looking through YouTube for vids on Launch control. and there is one from Ford that shows a guy setting it up and when he launches 2nd gear is locked out!! or he just plain missed it. Thoughts?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ems7-8sKDiY[/youtube]

pinbot1966 said:
5 DOT 0 thanks for putting poll together. 8)

Is there a way to incorporate in the poll results which model year "concerns" are present (IE I have a 2012 boss, encountered 3rg gear lockout several times, partial and stuck clutch pedal above 6k rpm)?

Example - Have you experienced shifting lock out upshifting in any gear? - 42 (20.8%) These are all hypothetical Break down by model year = 10 - 2011 gt owners, 22 - 2012 boss owners, 10 - 2013 boss owners

For me, it would be nice to see if these concerns are predominately related to 2011/2012's or encountered/diminished with the 2013's.

Thanks,
Barry
Good idea but both years are having the same issues. We're too far down the road to make any changes.

I think it is pretty clear ford is not going to fix this issue it is up to owners now to decide is it worth another couple grand? There is no other solution I can think of.

Got my Boss back today from Ford. 2 weeks total shop time. They replaced 1st & 2nd gears and both sets of Synchros. I took an hour drive and she feels as good as new. They topped off my oil and made a mark on the dipstick. Whether it burns or not I have to bring it back in 1000 miles for them to check it. Burned 1 qt my last 700 miles after my oil change

TMO Supporting Vendors