The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Decibel Rule

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Georgia
On my 2020 Shelby GT500 my local track dbis 99 my car keeps breaking it mainly on downshifting I have tried all the exhaust modes any ideas.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
On the other board I saw the turn down/turn away suggestions.
You could also use a plug/baffle on the inner pipes (where the valves are) - they are the straight through - lightly muffled pipe that makes the most noise.
Some of the newer tuning software like pcmtec can edit the active exhaust tables - eg keep the flaps fully closed at WOT in quiet mode
Use the grimspeed simulator modules to bypass the active exhaust and force the flaps closed

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Oh boy!! you can get to 99 db!! Your lucky! Down here, for our biggest track, we have to go to a sound booth and measure no more then 90Db at 6000 rpm. Its all a art form to get your Db's down and not loose power. But it can be done.

1715092752039.png
Actually since Laguna has a 90db limit as well, You can see lots of people manage to get it done.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
When talking sound limits, remember it's not only the decibel limit number, but also the weighting (typical A), response speed (slow or fast), and most importantly the distance between the source and meter. Doubling the distance reduces the sound level by 6dB.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
When talking sound limits, remember it's not only the decibel limit number, but also the weighting (typical A), response speed (slow or fast), and most importantly the distance between the source and meter. Doubling the distance reduces the sound level by 6dB.
Very true! they measure us some 3m from the exhaust! Have gone to the booth with the rear muffler stuffed full of steel wool. Until I saw a rx7 with the same cheat catch fire....

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel