The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

found r888s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

295/30r19 r888s would they fit on our oem boss rear wheels ?

Why did the boss came out with 285, wouldnt the tires handle better if tgey were 265 or 275 ?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
295 in some tires is just ok on the 9.5 rears. My buddy runs R7 square 295/30-19 on 19x9.5 sve rims. It works ok since the tire has a tread width of 10.4" if I remember right. Not ideal but..... better check that the r888 is not bigger then 1" more then the wheel. They also have soft side walls..... :(

Mad Hatter said:
295 in some tires is just ok on the 9.5 rears. My buddy runs R7 square 295/30-19 on 19x9.5 sve rims. It works ok since the tire has a tread width of 10.4" if I remember right. Not ideal but..... better check that the r888 is not bigger then 1" more then the wheel. They also have soft side walls..... :(

So as long as the tread width is not 10.5 it will fit with no problems ? Ive heard about bigger tires makes sidewall problems which breaks the sidewall alignment or sumthing like that.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Safest bet would be to stay with the makers specs! Usually that would be a max of 285 with a 9.5" rim. But, the one inch rule works well and it was okeyed to me by Hoosier as workable for a 295 R6. For the track you will wear out the shoulders faster and you will not get the full foot print on the ground.

Actually checking the toyo specs... its tread width is 11.1, so its way over the 1" rule!! 10 inch at least.

For maximun grip its best to use a smaller tire vs bigger on the same rim width. When the tire is oversized the tread surface gets rounded reducing the tread contact patch. Additionally, the oversized tire causes the sidewall to rollover / shift excessively during hard cornering reducing grip even more. A properly sized tire for the rim width usually results in a bigger contact patch and better sidewall control than an oversized tire resulting in better overall performance and grip. Best of luck with your decision.

This is a serious can of worms...IMO the "1 inch rule" is a very viable piece of information for about 90 percent of the time. I have seen narrow tires stretched over wide wheels and visa versa to make a handling change, but this is not the norm. IT pays to check the specifications, as an example a Hoosier 335 will keep the same amount of contact patch as a 345 on an 10.5 inch wheel, even though the 345 is on a 11 inch wheel. So you need to check this stuff out personally. I walk around the paddock with a tape measure and if I see a bizarre combination I ask the guy about it, most are very forthcoming on their intentions and what they are trying to do.
If you run autocrosses, sometimes a soft sidewall is preferred because the tire will squirm and build heat faster, where on a road course that might work for qualifying but it's usually counter productive during a race. The other thing that comes to mind is that different tire manufacturers have different "specs" and even though a tire is a certain size, they can differ a lot. You see this in the street radial drag classes where now you have to run your tire through a box to insure the size of it because certain tire brands were taking liberties on just how wide you could make a 305 spec tire.
I am going through this learning curve right now with the new Pirellis in the PWC cars, I've been used to Continentals for so long.

I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to find a pic of the tires used on the mini coopers, the wheel width is like 8 inches wide, the tires have a "blown" sidewall and are actually about 12-14 inches across.

OK..found one....

6u0jwbMl.png

I completely agree on the can of worms. Those Mini's didn't run a 8 inch wheel because they wanted too. If memory serves me correctly the rules dictated certain wheel sizes. That still doesn't make it right, but sometimes it's the only answer within the rule set. It all depends on your goals and the rules of your class.

steveespo said:
Rob I'm running 305/660-18 Conti GT-I on 18"x10" wheels. This seem to be fine, what do you think? There is a lack of $300 wheels in 11" that will clear my six piston Brembo/15" rotor setup.
Steve

18x10 is what I run on that 305 tire you should be fine, then 335 on a 10.5 and 345 on an 11 inch, we've run 315s on 10s and 10.5s

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hmmm.....Tempted by 315/30-18 on my 18x10 drifts...... not to happy about the 25.3" diameter of some 295/30-18 tires.... yup real can of worms

steveespo said:
Rob I'm running 305/660-18 Conti GT-I on 18"x10" wheels. This seem to be fine, what do you think? There is a lack of $300 wheels in 11" that will clear my six piston Brembo/15" rotor setup.
Steve

Forgestar CF5s should clear the brakes and they're not too far north of $300/each. I'm going to use them to get 18x12s over 15" stoptechs

TMO Supporting Vendors