The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350/GT4 fiberglass hood vents

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
Apologies for the delay. Been testing some different methods. So the first version (unmodified) had some warping issues when exposed to on track level temperatures. I suspect a really hot day in an area like Texas could replicate the same results.

20190507_092949.jpg

After that, I experimented with putting some the reflective heat tape on the underside of the vent and that worked fairly well. Note, I was able to get the fins back into their original position with a heat gun.
20190522_182119.jpg

20190522_182136.jpg

My latest endeavor was to try and add vertical supports. I ended up with some screws, a poly spacer and a lock nut. This isn't a long-term solution, just an easy way to test. This worked and kept everything as it should be. Here's how they look today after (4) days spread between Road Atlanta and VIR in max attack mode.

20190708_115949.jpg20190708_115954.jpg
20190708_115930.jpg

If anyone has any recommendations on improving fiberglasses heat tolerance outside of adding tape, please chime in. Would be curious to try other options.

Neither Fred nor I really feel these are mainstream ready. They do offer benefits over metal ones (they don't transfer heat like AL or steel, they're light weight, they look better, etc.), but they aren't as trouble free (yet). With some additional dev, that could change. Will depend on if Fred wants to continue the project.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Apologies for the delay. Been testing some different methods. So the first version (unmodified) had some warping issues when exposed to on track level temperatures. I suspect a really hot day in an area like Texas could replicate the same results.

View attachment 8759

After that, I experimented with putting some the reflective heat tape on the underside of the vent and that worked fairly well. Note, I was able to get the fins back into their original position with a heat gun.
View attachment 8761

View attachment 8760

My latest endeavor was to try and add vertical supports. I ended up with some screws, a poly spacer and a lock nut. This isn't a long-term solution, just an easy way to test. This worked and kept everything as it should be. Here's how they look today after (4) days spread between Road Atlanta and VIR in max attack mode.

View attachment 8763View attachment 8762
View attachment 8764

If anyone has any recommendations on improving fiberglasses heat tolerance outside of adding tape, please chime in. Would be curious to try other options.

Neither Fred nor I really feel these are mainstream ready. They do offer benefits over metal ones (they don't transfer heat like AL or steel, they're light weight, they look better, etc.), but they aren't as trouble free (yet). With some additional dev, that could change. Will depend on if Fred wants to continue the project.

Probably an aluminum center support or altering the design to include a center structure. Had similar issues with a tiger racing hood but not to that scale

What about increasing the ply or materials thickness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the V6L
Sounds like what this really needs is a better high-temp resin for the fiberglass fabrication.

Some options:

1. two braces, rather than one, from front to back with both the top and bottom of each vane anchored. The braces could go underneath or on top. One edge of each vane anchored directly and the other edge with a spacer.

2. metal screen - 1/4" lightweight stainless screen for instance - over the top and the bottom of the opening. Anchor it along the edges of the opening then screw it to the top and bottom of each vane at several places along each vane.

3. take a page from the ZL1 1LE - replace the mounting screws with dzus fasteners and just remove it on hot days, leaving it in when it's wet or cold.

TMO Supporting Vendors