The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Just had a mini Cylinder #8 freakout.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Plainfield, NJ
This might get a bit long winded.

Let me start off by saying I haven't driven my car much, if at all in the last 2-3 months between bad weather and working alot.
I've noticed the last few months of driving or so I have a small puff of oil smoke right on cold starts. I'm chalking it up to valve seals possibly on their way out. Car doesn't really use or or burn any otherwise. 82k mile car.
I took it out for a 30-40 minute drive 3 weeks ago to stretch the legs. All was fine. Car was due for an oil change so I changed the oil (switched to 5W-30 from 5W-20, hoping the thicker oil helps with start-up puff issue). I needed to fix my rear upper control arm so I put the car on jack stands in my driveway where it sat for 3 weeks, and today I finally was able to finish.
As soon as I get the car started up today, oil puff as usual. I let it run for a minute and then happen to look at the dashboard, and see the CEL is on. Shut car off and see the codes are P0308 and P0316 (Misfire detected at startup). Car was running smooth, no issues at all. Cleared the codes and start it up again. No issues at all. I let it run in driveway for about 30-40 minutes and put in some Amsoil Performance Improver that I got awhile ago. Revved it up a few times in between. Still no codes. I'm planning on taking it out tomorrow morning and seeing if anything happens. I'm thinking an Italian tune up is in order.

Anyone recommend I do anything next to check or diagnose after I take it out? My blood kinda ran cold when I saw Cylinder 8. I just want to make sure its nothing major cause I'm not really in a position for internal engine work. I'm thinking may a little oil got the plug and burned itself off. Hopefully thats it.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
This might get a bit long winded.

Let me start off by saying I haven't driven my car much, if at all in the last 2-3 months between bad weather and working alot.
I've noticed the last few months of driving or so I have a small puff of oil smoke right on cold starts. I'm chalking it up to valve seals possibly on their way out. Car doesn't really use or or burn any otherwise. 82k mile car.
I took it out for a 30-40 minute drive 3 weeks ago to stretch the legs. All was fine. Car was due for an oil change so I changed the oil (switched to 5W-30 from 5W-20, hoping the thicker oil helps with start-up puff issue). I needed to fix my rear upper control arm so I put the car on jack stands in my driveway where it sat for 3 weeks, and today I finally was able to finish.
As soon as I get the car started up today, oil puff as usual. I let it run for a minute and then happen to look at the dashboard, and see the CEL is on. Shut car off and see the codes are P0308 and P0316 (Misfire detected at startup). Car was running smooth, no issues at all. Cleared the codes and start it up again. No issues at all. I let it run in driveway for about 30-40 minutes and put in some Amsoil Performance Improver that I got awhile ago. Revved it up a few times in between. Still no codes. I'm planning on taking it out tomorrow morning and seeing if anything happens. I'm thinking an Italian tune up is in order.

Anyone recommend I do anything next to check or diagnose after I take it out? My blood kinda ran cold when I saw Cylinder 8. I just want to make sure its nothing major cause I'm not really in a position for internal engine work. I'm thinking may a little oil got the plug and burned itself off. Hopefully thats it.
Did the battery go dead at any point while it’s been sitting?

TMO Supporting Vendors