The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Lightweight brake setup for 18" wheels (Aerospace)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Colorado Springs
Looking for recommendations on a upgrade to my base Ecoboost brake setup. Preferably as lightweight as possible and must fit in 18x9.5 ET25 Konig wheel.

Has anyone used this company "Aerospace Components" products for track before?

https://shop.aerospacecomponents.com/4pistonfrontprostreetkit2015mustangvrdsp-2.aspx

I've never heard much about them but this kit intrigues me because it's lightweight, fairly affordable, and can fit inside a smaller wheel than most other setups. For example if I'm looking at a similar kit like here (https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-6030-s550-brembo-pp-front-brake-upgrade-kit) - that one is $340 more expensive and has 6 piston Brembo calipers which are probably a bit more than I need for my Ecoboost, and would require me to run a larger than 18" wheel which I don't want to do.

On the other hand, the Aerospace brakes do say For Street Use and from what I can research, no one has ever used them on the track before. They seem to be heavily focused on making drag racing brakes but I have no idea how those would be fundamentally different from a track brake setup.

Any suggestions?

Additional considerations:
1. My rear rotors are non vented and seem to get hotter than the front
2. I have brake cooling ducts in the bumper that will be setup with silicon hoses for the fronts
3. Does anyone make track pads for Ecoboost non-PP Mustangs? Would a pad upgrade alone be a big improvement?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
It says they are 11.75" in diameter, this is smaller than stock I believe? Sounds drag oriented and I would expect them to be worse than your stock brakes for non-drag use.

The pad selection for your brakes isn't as broad as the GT PP kit, but you still have access to some GLOC and Hawk offerings. Hawk DTC60s are very capable for the price point and would definitely out perform stock pads. Jumping up to EB PP brakes gives you a couple more options, but the GT PP Brembos have quite a bit more selection. I like Raybestos and Cobalt personally.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Colorado Springs
It says they are 11.75" in diameter, this is smaller than stock I believe? Sounds drag oriented and I would expect them to be worse than your stock brakes for non-drag use.

The pad selection for your brakes isn't as broad as the GT PP kit, but you still have access to some GLOC and Hawk offerings. Hawk DTC60s are very capable for the price point and would definitely out perform stock pads. Jumping up to EB PP brakes gives you a couple more options, but the GT PP Brembos have quite a bit more selection. I like Raybestos and Cobalt personally.
What about the DTC-30? It looks like the DTC-60 have a minimum operating temperature of 400 (which my stock brakes barely get up to).

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Colorado Springs
400F pad temp seems low, how well are your current pads working?

They seem to work fine on track although the bite is not particularly aggressive. I don't know if that has as much to do with pad compound as it does the fact there's only 2 pistons, so perhaps the clamping force is diminished. If I'm applying 100% braking force at 120mph to bring the car down to around 40mph for a hairpin, the car experiences 1.07 G's of force on a 275 wide 200TW tire. This is only 0.1G's up from the 0.97G I recorded on a 235 wide 420TW all-season tire. This would suggest to me that the problem of not enough braking force would lie with the brake setup.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
They seem to work fine on track although the bite is not particularly aggressive. I don't know if that has as much to do with pad compound as it does the fact there's only 2 pistons, so perhaps the clamping force is diminished. If I'm applying 100% braking force at 120mph to bring the car down to around 40mph for a hairpin, the car experiences 1.07 G's of force on a 275 wide 200TW tire. This is only 0.1G's up from the 0.97G I recorded on a 235 wide 420TW all-season tire. This would suggest to me that the problem of not enough braking force would lie with the brake setup.

Any brakes should be able to exceed the tires' grip as evidenced by ABS activation...
...at least once!
And no brake can generate more braking force than the tires grip.

Being able to apply the brakes repeatedly and effectively up to the tires' grip limit, especially while on grippy tires is where brake setup & heat management comes into play.

I would think the 100% brake effort you measured should be getting into the ABS, leaving the tires as the limiting factor. Unless you're experiencing heat fade.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Colorado Springs
Any brakes should be able to exceed the tires' grip as evidenced by ABS activation...
...at least once!
And no brake can generate more braking force than the tires grip.

Being able to apply the brakes repeatedly and effectively up to the tires' grip limit, especially while on grippy tires is where brake setup & heat management comes into play.

I would think the 100% brake effort you measured should be getting into the ABS, leaving the tires as the limiting factor. Unless you're experiencing heat fade.

Well, it doesn’t activate ABS and there’s no heat fade as what I described is what happens on the first lap.

The best upgrade would be the Radi-Cal from AP. Its way cheaper than the Brembo setup and from what i've seen on track these are equal to the $8000 Brembo's.

I mean that's a $4,500 rear brake setup. The fronts are another $5,500.

It looks like they have some slightly cheaper options at $4,600 front and $3,500 rear, but something tells me these are a bit overkill if OP is looking at $1,200-1,600 kits.

Honestly @bronco100 I'd reach out to The Parts Farm on Ebay/Facebook/Instagram or at www.thepartsfarm.com and talk to them about a used brake setup like these. WIth a little cleanup, some new lines, and new pads and rotors you'd be in business for pretty cheap.

Or you could get the full GT350 upgrade kit about the same as that rear AP kit.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
What about the DTC-30? It looks like the DTC-60 have a minimum operating temperature of 400 (which my stock brakes barely get up to).

If your brakes aren't hotter than 400* on track then you aren't using them very hard, like almost not at all. Also, that means 400* is the temperature the pad reaches the mu plateau, not that they just don't work entirely below that point.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Colorado Springs
If your brakes aren't hotter than 400* on track then you aren't using them very hard, like almost not at all. Also, that means 400* is the temperature the pad reaches the mu plateau, not that they just don't work entirely below that point.

I don't know what they get up to on track. I'll try to measure in the pit lane next time. Typically I've only measured them after doing an entire out lap (cool down) and then driving into the paddock which takes another couple minutes.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel