The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Locked Out!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys, so this 2012 Boss is my second Mustang and the history with this issue is why I need to post to get some opinions...

My 07 GT was the car I learned stick on. Granted, I could drive a stick prior but owning versus knowing how are obviously different things. The problem I have now is almost identical to what I saw a couple years after getting my GT. Question I have is, are the synchros starting to fail on me like with my 07?

Symptom: Heavy acceleration in first gear, anything over 6k rpm when I try to speed shift (not power shift but actually lifting off the gas and giving a good clutch stab).

The car just will not let me shift into second without the lovely scratch noise you get when grinding gears. I can get in just fine, just not without the horrible grinding noise.

I hear you guys talking about the shifter bracket replacement mod helping but really want to keep this beast as stock as possible. Definetley don't want to void my extended warranty or cause the value of the car to suffer.

Input/ideas?

Thanks all!

OKCBossman said:
Hey guys, so this 2012 Boss is my second Mustang and the history with this issue is why I need to post to get some opinions...

My 07 GT was the car I learned stick on. Granted, I could drive a stick prior but owning versus knowing how are obviously different things. The problem I have now is almost identical to what I saw a couple years after getting my GT. Question I have is, are the synchros starting to fail on me like with my 07?

Symptom: Heavy acceleration in first gear, anything over 6k rpm when I try to speed shift (not power shift but actually lifting off the gas and giving a good clutch stab).

The car just will not let me shift into second without the lovely scratch noise you get when grinding gears. I can get in just fine, just not without the horrible grinding noise.

I hear you guys talking about the shifter bracket replacement mod helping but really want to keep this beast as stock as possible. Definetley don't want to void my extended warranty or cause the value of the car to suffer.

Input/ideas?

Thanks all!

Buy a BF bracket and keep the stock shifter bracket, don't tell anyone online you bought it so they can't prove it, though it should save the trans rather than hurt so you should have no worries. Now you have a car that you can shift confidently in and also not have to worry about papa Ford finding out.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Transmission and shifting issues are WELL documented with the 2011+ cars. Search on that for a bit.

Things that will help/eliminate this issue:
Blowfish Racing shifter bracket.
Aftermarket clutch of your choice.

Look at my post called second gear tsb just a few posts up. Just had this problem, and will be picking the car up tomorow. Take it in to Ford and have them look up the TSB. My synchros, the second gear itself, the plate with the fork bearings and the fork itself needed to be replaced. The teeth on the second gear were chewed off all around the leading edge. I bet yours are too. Hope this helps you out.

Thanks everyone. Was hoping to hear it might be a TSB issue. Gonna try that route first and if it doesn't work out I will be in the market for a new shifter bracket.

TMO Supporting Vendors