The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New shocks / springs for street track setup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I always recomend a Ford Racing kit ( and American muscle has them on sale) because they are designed to work together, #2 suggestion would be a Cortex kit. With regards to coil overs... prolly anything less than $5K is prolly not worth owning, the other point is that coil overs will need a well advised rebuild every 20K miles.
The cost of good coil overs and the rebuild schedule is why I didn't get them last time. Not enough room in my budget when I realized my struts were starting to go. Maybe next time.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I always recomend a Ford Racing kit ( and American muscle has them on sale) because they are designed to work together, #2 suggestion would be a Cortex kit. With regards to coil overs... prolly anything less than $5K is prolly not worth owning, the other point is that coil overs will need a well advised rebuild every 20K miles.
Would agree with the ford Performance setup as I have helped several friends get them and they had great results. But, have to disagree about having to spend more the $5K. Down here we have two S197 cars with the basic Cortex koni coilovers and both cars are fast and punch way above their level. At least the Koni inserts are cheap to replace not to mention that being able to play with suspension settings etc is a great plus.

In any case, which ever way you go....if you are going to lower your car significantly , don't forget relocation brackets for the rear control arms so you can adjust the angles.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Just remember that Ford does not make the Ford Performance kits. A team at Ford Performance picked a selection of parts from the aftermarket to meet a set of specified performance parameters. There chosen parameters may or may not be the same as yours. The kits are still available but no longer in production for the S197 platform so if you need replacement parts (struts/shocks) down the road they may not be available.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
Noticed H&R has some entry level coilover options. They seem to be endorsed by Kenny brown and Sam Strano for an “affordable” coilover. Two versions are street and RSS (club sport). I discounted the RSS for 3 reasons. Cost, spring rates (650lb seems high for my use case) and that only the fronts have adjustable damping.

I originally discounted the “street” because I assumed they would not be enough for my use case. However at the end of this Kenny Brown video he mentions the street spring rates are around 400lbs.

If correct, that is stiffer than any spring package I am looking at. If valved for those springs, I would think that may be a decent dual purpose setup. Generally H&R is decent stuff, pretty sure they use a Bilstein monotube, but I really can’t find much info or feedback on people using these. Price on the street setup would be pretty close to a koni/steeda shock spring package.

on the plus I would get adjustable preload, height, rake. And maybe more space for a wider wheel. On the negative, no adjustable damping.

thoughts?

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
Noticed H&R has some entry level coilover options. They seem to be endorsed by Kenny brown and Sam Strano for an “affordable” coilover. Two versions are street and RSS (club sport). I discounted the RSS for 3 reasons. Cost, spring rates (650lb seems high for my use case) and that only the fronts have adjustable damping.

I originally discounted the “street” because I assumed they would not be enough for my use case. However at the end of this Kenny Brown video he mentions the street spring rates are around 400lbs.

If correct, that is stiffer than any spring package I am looking at. If valved for those springs, I would think that may be a decent dual purpose setup. Generally H&R is decent stuff, pretty sure they use a Bilstein monotube, but I really can’t find much info or feedback on people using these. Price on the street setup would be pretty close to a koni/steeda shock spring package.

on the plus I would get adjustable preload, height, rake. And maybe more space for a wider wheel. On the negative, no adjustable damping.

thoughts?
For a daily driver/autocross Vorshlag recommended 450/175 spring rates for me. I've thrown everything Vorshlag offers at the car besides MCS coilovers so far.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Race buddy of mine had a S197 with a 100 shot of Nitrous oxide. He purchased a set of Yellow racing coilovers with camber plates for US$1000 and I'll be damned, If I screwed up, he would be on me in blink of an eye... Well not as fast as the Cortex setup, he did scare a lot of Porsches.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN

thoughts?
The set looks interesting. I don't know anyone running them. It appears to have a divorced rear spring instead of a true coil over. The front using a factory style spring so you may not gain any clearance since the spring diameter is the same as a normal strut. Also, the pictures do not show upper mounts and the description does not mention them, so you can pick which camber plates you want.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
That’s a good point on the clearance issue. The reason I even thought of that is from what I read researching Steeda comp boss springs. On paper they seem like what I am looking for. Slightly stiffer than the normal Steeda comp springs with less drop in the front. However I found a few reviews that mentioned the spring had a wider design that became a clearance issue as it limited camber.

On the H&R street setup, I will have to see if I can confirm the rates. At < $1300, they may be an option. Thanks

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Slightly stiffer than the normal Steeda comp springs with less drop in the front.
Be careful comparing specs on the Steeda Boss vs non-Boss springs - I'd think that the "drop" amount for the Boss springs would be from the factory Boss ride height, which I believe is slightly lower than a regular GT in front and may actually be higher in the rear(?). Just going off memory, though.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
That’s a good point on the clearance issue. The reason I even thought of that is from what I read researching Steeda comp boss springs. On paper they seem like what I am looking for. Slightly stiffer than the normal Steeda comp springs with less drop in the front. However I found a few reviews that mentioned the spring had a wider design that became a clearance issue as it limited camber.

On the H&R street setup, I will have to see if I can confirm the rates. At < $1300, they may be an option. Thanks
When I was looking at springs last time I had the same thought as you on the Boss Comps. Steeda said the Boss Comps were optimized for the factory Boss struts/shocks and they did not recommend them with other dampers.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
Be careful comparing specs on the Steeda Boss vs non-Boss springs - I'd think that the "drop" amount for the Boss springs would be from the factory Boss ride height, which I believe is slightly lower than a regular GT in front and may actually be higher in the rear(?). Just going off memory, though.
Good point. From what I can find, .75" is the expected front drop on a GT. This would make it one of the stiffest (factory type) springs with a minimum drop.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
I got of the phone with H&R and the street performance coilovers are rated at 400lb front 290 rear. The design is an inverted monotube. Pretty aggressive for a "street" setup.

However I guess some of the front rate would be used up with the increased lever arm once lowered.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CA
I got of the phone with H&R and the street performance coilovers are rated at 400lb front 290 rear. The design is an inverted monotube. Pretty aggressive for a "street" setup.

However I guess some of the front rate would be used up with the increased level arm once lowered.
Any idea if those could be made to fit with a race spring like hyperco or swift?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
The spring looks like a bespoke design that goes from an adjustable coil over coupler on the bottom to an oem style mount on the top.

I would think if you selected an upper mount that had provisions for a coilover style perch you can just use a straight spring. No experience mind you, just guessing.

Sort of on the fence with this one. Koni/steeda boss springs/steeda mount vs H&R coilover/steeda mounts.

Right now the H&R coilovers seem to be out of stock, so I may wait a short while. The koni boss setup seems like a solid choice as well.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CA
I contacted Vorshlag and they said they can make a cc plate to adapt standard race coils
They also confirmed they MIGHT make a run of the street-pro coil over setup and IF they do it won’t be til around fall of this year.
Assuming H&R uses bilsteins that option with the vorshlag plates might be worth considering as it would be like a semi adjustable street-pro kit.

thoughts?
I had the H&R RSS 630/515 with MM camber mounts on my 13 Boss. Max camber was -2.7 to -2.8*. Set up for RH in the front had plenty of adjustment, and lowering RH does have a minor effect on negative camber. The rear spring adjusting collar was a little restrictive for raising RH but still usable. Kenny Brown prefers higher spring rates and this set up worked well at Gingerman and Waterford which are both smooth surfaces. Driving this set up on the street especially on anything but a smooth road is rough.

With that experience, I have not yet decided which direction to take on my 14 GT. The H&R RSS 630/515 is out. Adjustable RH is important for me thus keeping me from just pulling the trigger on OE style Koni’s with 300-ish pound springs.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
Interesting…. What about the H&R street coils? 400/290 sounds more of a track setup then street. I like you would prefer adjustable RH, although I would also like adjustable damping. For my budget though, it’s one or the other.

Interesting…. What about the H&R street coils? 400/290 sounds more of a track setup then street. I like you would prefer adjustable RH, although I would also like adjustable damping. For my budget though, it’s one or the other.
As I recall the front H&R dampers were SA with about 16 clicks. KB recommended starting at 6 from soft on smooth track. Rears do not have adjustment.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
Tried to order H&R coilovers from tire rack. They quoted me about 3 weeks from Germany. A bit too long for me. I ordered koni sports instead and I already received them. I went with the gt500 style as I got a good deal on a steeda upper mount for that style. After speaking to the rep with Steeda, I went with boss comp springs. He said they were pretty close to the reg comp springs. Maybe less lowering overall. They were the last s197 spring they developed. Def recommended a stiffer shock package than stock GT.

TMO Supporting Vendors