The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Splitter for 21 Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Feeling the need for increased front grip, I have been inspired by the work of our own @flyhalf and @Fair to make a home brew 4" extended version of my own. Using 1/2" birch ply that will be laminated with 6oz carbon fiber cloth using epoxy resin for some additional stiffness and hopefully a good appearance. Splitter rods are by Professional Awesome and feature Titanium skid plates for them and from SpeedItalia. 2 rods are exposed at the front and two more are blind attaching to the outer edge area of the splitter inside the fender well areas. there are 4 more hard point attachments to the subframe and 12 fasteners that marry the splitter to the factory undertray. Here are some initial photos including todays first fitment to the car. Things are very solid.

Split 1.jpg

Split2.jpg

Split3.jpg

Split4.jpg

Split5.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
My ex-Boss used Baltic Birch plywood on a ton of handmade splitters for Vipers going clear back into the 90s and folks teased him about it plenty in those early years. As others destroyed costly CF ones, his took huge beatings and when they finally needed replacing he just cut out another. Smart idea, it looks great and when you get done with the carbon cloth sheathing you will have only saved hundreds and hundreds, ha. Really nice job!

Looks awesome. I used a slightly heavier solution called HDO on mine that designed for the concrete forming industry. Heavily impregnated with epoxy resin giving it superior moisture resistance. I then just coated it with spray on Raptor bedliner material. Any work you can do to smooth the flow into your splitter tunnels will benefit you.

Gt500 splitter fences molded in
52703198143_53d5e78f30_o.jpg

Edge rounded over on the bottom
52702222747_783c8f9d17_o.jpg

Feathered into the factory undertray tunnels
52703198138_88782d4b01_o.jpg

Coated with raptor liner
52711046770_98923b91de_o.jpg

CA
Looks awesome. I used a slightly heavier solution called HDO on mine that designed for the concrete forming industry. Heavily impregnated with epoxy resin giving it superior moisture resistance. I then just coated it with spray on Raptor bedliner material. Any work you can do to smooth the flow into your splitter tunnels will benefit you.

Gt500 splitter fences molded in
View attachment 90942

Edge rounded over on the bottom
View attachment 90943

Feathered into the factory undertray tunnels
View attachment 90944

Coated with raptor liner
View attachment 90945
Added some rear df to the golf kart....I dig it 🤠

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
She needs it. Gets a little squirrely ever since I added the Cobra badge to the carbon fiber style dashboard. You can just see the snake here.
View attachment 90953
Reminds me of this hot rod in Palm Springs…. The more you zoom in, the better it gets🤣

IMG_8645.jpeg

Somewhere there is a pic of the Pheonix Taylor Dunn at St. Pete, rear wing, front splitter, dive planes, the work works, all in carbon cardboard.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN
This is really cool! I've been a bit discouraged with the cost of front splitters being over a grand. The Boss 302 version seems to be out of stock since COVID and it doesn't extend back under the engine much. I might go this route in the future.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
This is really cool! I've been a bit discouraged with the cost of front splitters being over a grand. The Boss 302 version seems to be out of stock since COVID and it doesn't extend back under the engine much. I might go this route in the future.
All in with hardware, carbon cloth, resin and Professional awesome/SpeedItalia mounting parts I have right at $800 into it. But, some of the professional Awesome quick disconnect parts I have found I won't use so really about $600. Replacement boards can be redone for about $425. Although next time I may invest in a vacuum bagging kit to get the carbon done a little more neat and professional looking.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel