The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 OTS Tune with ZERO rev hang?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

At least when I had my ecoboost a few years back custom was the only way to get rid of the rev hang induced by the tune. Even some of the custom tuners leave some rev hang in their tunes, I had to ask for it to be removed.

But be aware that the balance shafts in this engine create a decent amount of inertial rev hang too. They're there for NVH reduction. You can remove them (ford performance sells an oil passage blockoff plate) and it improves a good bit. I did and if I had an ecoboost again I'd do it right away. But if you like your warranty maybe wait for it to expire.

In the V6L
Does anyone know if there is an off-the-shelf tune (Ford Performance, COBB, Steeda, etc.) that completely removes any computer-added rev hang? Or would I only be able to achieve that with a custom tune?

Thanks in advance!
If you find one, it'll be interesting to hear how it works. For the non-turbo engines, the hang is there to keep the cats hot. On the Ecoboost, presumably it's there to keep the turbo from spinning down too far (lag prevention). Maybe it's unnecessary - time will tell.

Its a good theory, though my experience was that a tune without rev hang did not affect lag. The turbos on these engines are so small most tuners actually delay boost build at lower RPM's because they can create more torque below ~2700RPM than the rods can handle. My tuned ecoboost with stock turbo made more torque below ~3k RPM than my coyote.

TMO Supporting Vendors