The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

R-springs on GT350

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
bpracer said:
Finally got to the track today (MSR-Cresson) with the larger rear sway bar to match the R springs and it does the work better as one would expect!

It was chilly in the morning and I wasn't trying to push the car too much, I really went to coach a friend that just picked up 2001 911 Turbo... But then there was another GT-350 there and it left me while my tires slid around.

The last session I ran I finally got the air pressure low enough to get the tires to stick. Overall the car felt neutral, with some lower speed understeer (but likely I was getting in on the gas to soon). The car had more oversteer on fast turns until the tires got hot. At that point the car seemed more neutral overall.

I must have been spinning the left rear more than I thought because it was 2psi higher than the rest when I finished.

My tire pressure gauge shows about one psi less on average than TPMS readings.

My next tire pressure starting point for this track will likely be:

LF 27.5 RF 27

LR 28 RR 26.5

I guess I need to take some tire temps.

The other things that was absent this time was some shuddering from the front end when pushed really hard. My only other modification was a Steeda G-Track brace. It seems to help tram-lining on the highway as somebody in the M6G forum stated that it "cured" that problem for them. I think it is slightly better, but certainly far from cured. It's pretty cheap, looks like it should do something to triangulate the front sub-frame and it can't hurt other than adding a little weight.

I'm getting more comfortable with the car but a little voice in the back of my head keeps telling me I have 50+ payments remaining.

Three questions: What was the ambient temperature? Which tires? What was the hot tire pressure?

DFW, TX
60, MPSS, 32psi on three and 34 on the right rear. But not sure I can trust the TPMS accuracy. Its close but I doubt they all read with the same degree of accuracy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

bpracer said:
The other things that was absent this time was some shuddering from the front end when pushed really hard. My only other modification was a Steeda G-Track brace. It seems to help tram-lining on the highway as somebody in the M6G forum stated that it "cured" that problem for them. I think it is slightly better, but certainly far from cured. It's pretty cheap, looks like it should do something to triangulate the front sub-frame and it can't hurt other than adding a little weight.
I'm skeptical on this one too. If it was as simple as bolting on a brace to get rid of tram-lining everyone would be doing it. No way that cured the problem. The main cause of tram-lining on our cars is the steamroller 295/305 front tires and aggressive camber (for a street car) from the factory. ;)

Thanks for your update. You commented on a few things that you thought felt different on your car from your mods but you didn't mention if it's better or faster. For me, the more I drive my car on track the more likely I am to leave it stock. It feels very controllable on track and Track Mode stiffens it up nicely. It's nice to put it in Normal Mode for the drive home. ;D

DFW, TX
I think the brace could actually be helping. It does tie things together under the car. The subframe is pretty thin sheet metal.

I like the stiffer R springs. Less dive under braking and a bit flatter cornering.

Its a very competent car. The brakes are amazing but I hate power brakes at the track. I like fairly heavy inputs in cars, probably because I raced a car with manual steering and brakes for so long.

A little less weight and stickier tires and I'm sure I'll feel more at home.

In the V6L
bpracer said:
60, MPSS, 32psi on three and 34 on the right rear. But not sure I can trust the TPMS accuracy. Its close but I doubt they all read with the same degree of accuracy

Thanks! Somewhere along the way I've become a fan of lower tire pressures. The TPMS readings are pretty accurate on my car even across three different sets of rims and sensors.

TMO Supporting Vendors