The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

R-springs on GT350

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Actual spring rates the car sees have to take into account the spring rate from the rubber bushings, any rubber mounts and the tires. Damping has to account for the "shocks", any rubber bushings, rubber mounts, and tires.

VoodooBOSS said:
Thanks Jason. So both F&R? What about the R shorter rsb end links? Thoughts on adding that to possibly balance the front and rear? I'm have cup 2's in 305 square for the track.
The sway bar end links are the same for all mustangs including all versions of the GT350 track pack, tech pack & R. The Rear R sway bar is different then the non R.

DFW, TX
8250RPM said:
The sway bar end links are the same for all mustangs including all versions of the GT350 track pack, tech pack & R. The Rear R sway bar is different then the non R.

Do you know how it is different? The diameter is the same from what I've read.

When I look up the part using both an R and my VIN on fordparts.com, I come up with the same part 5A772.

So making the bar shorter effectively makes it stiffer. Are the front bars the same?

DFW, TX
VoodooBOSS said:
So making the bar shorter effectively makes it stiffer. Are the front bars the same?

It certainly makes a lot more sense, if that is the case we know the "arms" are the length on the actual bar itself. This was always confusing about the exact meaning.

GT350
Rear stabilizer bar
22.2mm DIA x 3.9mm wall (0.87 x 0.15 in)
GT350R
22.2mm DIA x 3.9mm wall (0.87 x 0.15 in )
with 8mm (0.31 in) shorter arms than GT350

Of course, this is what they said about the spring rates...

GT350
Front spring rate
34 N/mm (194 lb/in)
GT350R
42 N/mm (240 lb/in)
GT350

GT350
Rear spring rate
160 N/mm (914 lb/in)
GT350R
160 N/mm (914 lb/in)

I found out pestering my parts guy and he kept telling me the end links were the same part number for all mustangs front and rear. When I asked him to check all the sway bars is when we found it. Yes the front is the same part number on all GT350/R. I still think the R springs lower the car 1/2" or so compared to non R springs. Now that I have my vorshlag camber plates on the way I'll find out for sure. I also have 4 forgeline ga1R open lug 11x19 and 4 psc2 305/30ZR19. These alone are 1/2" shorter. But looking at this pic to me is more then 1/2" lower. I honestly believe the R is 1 " lower then non R's. I don't think ford would install transportation spacers for just 1/2".b34074de9c6d009261988bb8b2f119e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFW, TX
Having two sets of springs with the same ride height and two different rear sway bars allows for quite a few tuning combinations to try for different tire widths, etc.

DFW, TX
bpracer said:
Having two sets of springs with the same ride height and two different rear sway bars allows for quite a few tuning combinations to try for different tire widths, etc.
This is the after height, it looks the same to me. All the after heights were within an eighth of an inch, some even higher. Maybe the springs will take a set, one would hope not or they aren't good material.

5f64284cf62b9c57cda6967e0b89c2b2.jpg

bpracer said:
This is the after height, it looks the same to me. All the after heights were within an eighth of an inch, some even higher. Maybe the springs will take a set, one would hope not or they aren't good material.

5f64284cf62b9c57cda6967e0b89c2b2.jpg
This pic is with GT350R springs installed? Do you know your before and after height measurements?
Are the tires in the pic stock gt350 tires sizes? Can't make it out on my phone.
Did you do a suspension relearn?

DFW, TX
8250RPM said:
This pic is with GT350R springs installed? Do you know your before and after height measurements?
Are the tires in the pic stock gt350 tires sizes? Can't make it out on my phone.
Did you do a suspension relearn?

Stock MPSS tires

I don't know about a suspension re-learn?

Before
LF 27 7/8" RF 28"
LR 28 1/8" RR 28 3/16"

After
LF 28" RF 28 1/16"
LR 28 1/8" RR 28 1/4"

A quick measurement and they are probably 1/16' -1/8' lower now, definitely not 1/2" lower over the original springs.

DFW, TX
bpracer said:
Stock MPSS tires

I don't know about a suspension re-learn?

Before
LF 27 7/8" RF 28"
LR 28 1/8" RR 28 3/16"

After
LF 28" RF 28 1/16"
LR 28 1/8" RR 28 1/4"

A quick measurement and they are probably 1/16" -1/8" lower now, definitely not 1/2" lower over the original springs.

Something doesn't seem right about your ride heights. The R sits 1" lower then the non R and the tires alone are 1/2" of that. So the springs should drop it 1/2". A relearn is needed anytime the suspension is serviced. It must have all 4 wheels off the ground and the cars weight supported on a lift or jack stands. A scan tool is needed to do the relearn.

DFW, TX
8250RPM said:
Something doesn't seem right about your ride heights. The R sits 1" lower then the non R and the tires alone are 1/2" of that. So the springs should drop it 1/2". A relearn is needed anytime the suspension is serviced. It must have all 4 wheels off the ground and the cars weight supported on a lift or jack stands. A scan tool is needed to do the relearn.

The Magna-ride was not touched. I don't see how it can have the capability to adjust static ride height, so how can a "re-learn" affect the ride height?

Correct it does not effect ride height or static ride height. But if the springs lowered the vehicle at all or if the struts/shocks were replaced or removed they should be relearned. Have you driven the car since replacing the springs with the R springs? Any notice in ride or handling?

TMO Supporting Vendors