The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear caliper question???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone ever have both rear calipers lock up ONLY on track?? My rear brakes were dragging enough last track day to boil the fluid. I took it into the shop today and nothing seemed amiss. The pistons screwed in without effort. The slides were clean and moving, I did lube them anyway. So far no issues with street driving today on street pads. I am using Gloc R12 pads in the rear but I'm pretty sure that's not an issue.

I was going to edit. No, I turn Advance Track completely off, not Sport mode, just off. I did check the e brake cables. Both arms were fully seated. These are the original calipers to the car. They only have 50,000 miles on them and who knows how many track days. There has been so much Motul 600 flushed through this thing. The master cylinder is a new OE Ford unit.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Okay, so it doesn't sound like advance track is manipulating the breaks causing heat problems. Do you have stock rear rotors and are you still running the dust shields?

I have the 14 inch Shelby sized rotors. Ford brackets and no dust shield. Over time, gallons of Motul 600. I flush the brakes before every track day and bleed them after. Last time a complete flush was done was November 2023.

S550 front brakes. Yesterday as I was driving to the shop to swap pads I used the brakes as little as possible. I got off the freeway and pulled into the first gas station. My front rotors were 78°f and the rear were 135°f. I'm pretty sure the rear are hanging up.

After swapping pads I came home the same route, using as little brake as I could. Got home, front brakes were 95°f and rear were 90°f. All I did was screw in the piston.....

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
It sounds like you have covered all the bases on rear brake heat management. If they are boiling it has to be either dragging calipers or you got ahold of some old brake fluid. It is unlikely they are dragging equally. Temps ons the street would lead me to the same conclusion as you dragging calipers. If the slide pins are clean and lubricated it must be something internal. I do not know what else to do but rebuild or change calipers. Was there a temp differential between the right and left side or is their uneven pad wear? It is unlikely that both would be dragging equally. Hopefully someone with more insight will chime in.

There are lots of reports of the S550 front 6 piston calipers leading to a soft brake pedal when used with the S197 master cylinder. I wonder if your setup is leading to a front rear brake balance issue, where on braking you are effectively pressurizing the rear calipers more than the front. Have you tried refitting the stock 4 piston front calipers? What front brake pads are you using?

Traction control on or not the rear brakes should not be consistently locking up before the fronts, that is dangerous.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Traction control on or not the rear brakes should not be consistently locking up before the fronts, that is dangerous.
I don’t see where anyone said the rear brakes were consistently locking up before the fronts. Am I missing something?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Equal temperature side to side. Rear pad wear was even albeit cooked....
Usually a sticky caliper or traction control issues show on one side or the other. They both cause problems with wear and heat but not usually equally on both sides. How long were the R12s on the car and what fronts were you using?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I have the 14 inch Shelby sized rotors. Ford brackets and no dust shield. Over time, gallons of Motul 600. I flush the brakes before every track day and bleed them after. Last time a complete flush was done was November 2023.

S550 front brakes. Yesterday as I was driving to the shop to swap pads I used the brakes as little as possible. I got off the freeway and pulled into the first gas station. My front rotors were 78°f and the rear were 135°f. I'm pretty sure the rear are hanging up.

After swapping pads I came home the same route, using as little brake as I could. Got home, front brakes were 95°f and rear were 90°f. All I did was screw in the piston.....
What compound front pads are you using and what tires? I’ve had the backs drag like that as well and seemed to help with a “reset” of the pistons. It’s almost like the ratcheting mechanism from the park brake holds too tightly and won’t fully release.

I don’t see where anyone said the rear brakes were consistently locking up before the fronts. Am I missing something?
I may be misinterpreting it but that is how I read the first two sentences of the first post together with post #8, "I'm pretty sure the rear are hanging up." You are correct, the post does not say "consistently" but that is how I read it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I may be misinterpreting it but that is how I read the first two sentences of the first post together with post #8, "I'm pretty sure the rear are hanging up." You are correct, the post does not say "consistently" but that is how I read it.
When I hear hanging up or dragging I think not releasing completely. That is what confused me.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
What compound front pads are you using and what tires? I’ve had the backs drag like that as well and seemed to help with a “reset” of the pistons. It’s almost like the ratcheting mechanism from the park brake holds too tightly and won’t fully release.
Good point, I didn’t think about the parking break causing the problem. I almost never use it.

TMO Supporting Vendors