The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Suspension noise fix..odd problem, but an important one to check.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my 2007 GT500 has steeda lower arms and, It has the Metco upper am (http://www.americanmuscle.com/search?keywords=2007+metco+upper+control+arm&generation=&VehicleType=Mustang) which seems like a pretty thought out piece. In any case, I had this annoying "click" coming from the trans tunnel that I couldn't locate for the life of me. Finally I dropped the tank and removed the upper arm and attachment bracket.
I Found the mounting hole for the upper arm egg shaped where the bolt goes through for the upper arm. I made up a couple of bits of metal drilled them to the right size (actually, a little tighter) and welded them on the upper arm as gusset plates. Lubed up everything and put it back together..no more "click" between shifts. I also noticed the 11 and up pieces are a larger gauge material, the mount is not an exact "bolt in" because the through bolt is larger, but if you bought an 11 and up upper link, I think it would all work.
In any case, let this be a warning that if you track your car, you might want to pull that mount and take a good look at it. You don't have to pull the entire fuel tank, if you undo the strap bolts and let it down an inch or two, support it on a jack, you can sneak the mount out, no problem.

Rob I'm surprised you're not installing a CorteX watts link and torque arm.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
This is one of the possible failures for why I don't recommend using poly bushings in the upper arm...unless one considers it a seasonal maintenance item. Too much bind and resistance to the clamping force of the fasteners. Was the egg shape fore-aft or up-down from torsional movement?

I don't recall, though, if this is one of the suspension items that got larger hardware or tighter thread pitch for '11+. Not surprised that the older hardware isn't up to handling GT500 torque.

Grant 302 said:
This is one of the possible failures for why I don't recommend using poly bushings in the upper arm...unless one considers it a seasonal maintenance item. Too much bind and resistance to the clamping force of the fasteners. Was the egg shape fore-aft or up-down from torsional movement?

I don't recall, though, if this is one of the suspension items that got larger hardware or tighter thread pitch for '11+. Not surprised that the older hardware isn't up to handling GT500 torque.

It was front to back. I checked all the bolts for tightness and lubrication, the noise would actually transfer down the trans tunnel also making it hard to locate. That bracket was the only thing left that couldn't easily access.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel