The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

This brake kit seems like a no brainer, right?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Good stuff thanks. The closest I would ever get to racing with my car will be TT. It will be a street/HPDE car so everything will be set up around that. My goal for the build is capable of backroad touring and then going and pounding laps (typically inter/adv group). I will be looking for the magic crossover brake pad that everyone knows doesn't exist. Never ran G-locs but I have used carbotechs and the max I would expect for this car would be XP10. In my experience XP12s and above are just not street able. Considering I will be adding ducting, and considering your other comments, I have two questions.

1) How was the brake feel with the PP 6 piston setup? Did it require adjustment in your driving style, or did it interfere with heel/toe?
2) Will the 6 pot PP setup give me the ability to run a step less aggressive on pads while having the same thermal capacity?

1) In my case never had any problems with the pp6 setup. No effect on heal/tow etc.
2) I have driven some friends cars with street pads and the PP 15 setup, was not very fond of it to be honest. The longer travel in the PP 15 begs for a more aggressive pad. If you are not going to go +9/10's at the track or over 130mph, I would have been happy with my old brembo 14" setup. Lighter and cheaper.

Then again I drive my race pads on the road all the time and usually drive to events. especially with Pagid RSL 29 pads, those work from cold and they are a Le mans favorite. Once you try race pads its hard to go back......

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
Considering the price is pretty much the same, I would hate to buy the 4 pot brembos just to find out they weren't enough.

However because of my use case it does seem like those brakes would most likely be a better fit. Plus more wheel options, lower weight and less issues with pedal feel. I looked around and deals can be found for used, but I would rather not take the chance. I'll pickup new ford calipers, maybe centric blanks and braided lines. It seems like Goodridge are the standard, anything wrong with stoptech or steeda lines?

Thanks,

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If it was my car, I would go with the 15"PP brakes, with some RSL 29 pads, it would be very street able and still give 100% at the track. Basically because the two kits costs are the same, and you never know how far down the rabbit hole you might go!! Your probably running 19" wheels? So you wont need to upgrade to specific 18" wheels like Apex.

I have the PP calipers and RSL 29 front and 14" rear with RSL 29.
They are perfectly steetable and work great on track, but they are
very aggressive on street tires.
I had the 13-14 GT500 calipers which worked great but have limited pad choices.
If I had to do it again I would have to the GT350 setup.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
The only downside is a little softer pedal feel. I got used to the difference in pedal feel pretty quickly some do not.
@EF1 can you elaborate on this a bit more? Were you going from the 14” brakes to the 15”? If you had to rate each setup on feel alone, which one do you prefer and why? Thanks for the feedback.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
@EF1 can you elaborate on this a bit more? Were you going from the 14” brakes to the 15”? If you had to rate each setup on feel alone, which one do you prefer and why? Thanks for the feedback.
My car had the 14" 4 piston Brembo's from the factory. I ran them for 10 years with stock, hawk , and a range of G-Loc pads. The last few years were with the 13.8" rear brakes sourced from the 2014 GT500. They performed well for my use, but I was starting to go through pads pretty quickly and brake temps were coming in pretty high. The pedal was firm and the brakes grabbed right at the top of the stroke. I used the same G-Loc pad range when I went to the S550 6 piston calipers. The engagement is a little lower on the pedal stroke than the 4 piston set up. They are solid on engagement and feel a little less touchy than the 4 piston set up. I find it easier to modulate since there is a little more pedal range. The brakes have not let me down and I am confident in the stopping power. I did a thorough bleed starting with the abs. The actually like the pedal feel better once getting used to the range of travel. I do not know if it makes a difference but I am running Girodisk floating rotors on the front.

TMO Supporting Vendors