The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TREMEC 7-Speed Dual Clutch Transmissions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
6 speed is enough for me. I remember seeing a 6 speed for the first time in a Corvette at a raffle years ago and was TERRIFIED as I was used to a 4 speed. I remember saying to myself how could I possibly drive that! Fast forward to today and my Boss And couldn't live without my 6 speed!!!..........I'd be bored to death with a 4 speed. There are 8 speeds available out there now also....I think that would be too much chance of missing a gear?

Oh yea bring it on. I’d prefer this over the 10 sp auto anyway. I’ve driven several sports cars with a DCT and I’m all in.

@BigTaco did you see anything on this st SEMA?

Last edited:

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Oh yea bring it on. I’d prefer this over the 10 sp auto anyway. I’ve driven several sports cars with a DCT and I’m all in.

@BigTaco did you see anything on this st SEMA?
Nothing about it at SEMA. I spoke with some of the Ford Performance guys and there wasn't even a GT350 out there except for the track attack cars

What do you mean updated GT350?

In the V6L
Nothing about it at SEMA. I spoke with some of the Ford Performance guys and there wasn't even a GT350 out there except for the track attack cars

What do you mean updated GT350?

It's all guesswork at this point, so here's what I'm guessing: I'm guessing that these new Tremec DCT's are going into Ford, Chevy and Dodge cars. Front engine, rear drive cars with big engines. Tremec wouldn't design a whole new line of transmissions "on spec", so it's certain that they've got customers for them. It's just that the customers haven't announced the cars they're going to put them in, so I'm guessing front-engine, rear drive Fords like GT350 and GT500, eventually migrating down to the Mustang GT. Basically anything that can use a TR6060 or 3160 could get upgraded with one of these. I wonder if MGW will bring out a line of shift paddles to go with them...

There were no GT350s at the parts truck but they had several of them out for display as part of the “Ford out Front” activities. Trust me, no one was sleeping. The GT350s were the cars driven by NASCAR ford drivers giving hoon rides to VIPs.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Even though I have killed a flock of MT82 boxs. A huge part of the appeal of the Boss is shifting for yourself and smiling while you do it. I drove a bunch of Audis at the track with DCT and really did no like the experience much.

Is it true that the new 10-spd auto box switches to 6 when on the track???

In the V6L
Exactly. Things are usually fine for magazine tests but some of us are pretty hardcore at the track and put many hours a year on track. Changing that transmission will also be very spendy if warranty is denied.

True, but this is Tremec, not Getrag. As much as the mainstream Tremec boxes can be a bit finicky, they're pretty robust compared to pretty much everything else. I would expect no less from a wet-clutch DCT from Tremec. With a big enough coolant pump and radiator, it'll be fine. Besides, there's a 7-speed manual in the lineup now too.

In the V6L
...Is it true that the new 10-spd auto box switches to 6 when on the track???

I hadn't heard about that. Sounds interesting. Of course, you mean that the computer is programmed to use only 6 speeds in track mode, not that every time you go out, 40% of your gears quit working, right?

I hadn't heard about that. Sounds interesting. Of course, you mean that the computer is programmed to use only 6 speeds in track mode, not that every time you go out, 40% of your gears quit working, right?

I can’t see this as correct. How do you take 4 gears out of 10,not use them and still get good response? Your not taking the last 4 gears away with this scenario because on some tracks you will want your top gear 1:1. Taking and skipping gears on the way up to top gear doesn’t make sense either since it defeats the purpose of a 10 speed which is for close ratio shifts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
From what I saw in R&T

"What's interesting is just how much spacing there is between some of the gears. Through the first six gear ratios, every gear is very closely spaced, clearly aimed for maximum power output and performance. But as the car shifts into seventh, the RPMs drop significantly, indicating that gears seven through ten are optimized for economy driving. It's like having a close-ratio racing gearbox and an economy-minded transmission all in one."

A seven speed solid manual would nice, but as it is I am only using 3rd to 5th gear on the track. The engine pulls great from 3500 to 7500 rpm.

Last edited:
The 10 speed seems to work fine in the ZL1. My only concern is how it would hold up to hard core track use.

A friend of mine had at least a half dozen instances on temperature warnings in his 10-spd ZL1 at VIR this weekend. He was very fast (2:05 on Main I think), but still on OE brakes and tires. He’s trading it for the ZL1-1LE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors