The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

what a long, strange trip it's been....west coast swing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First off, I rode the truck across the US because I've never done this, I would highly recommend it, from Pennsylvania to Tennessee across the Mississippi to Texas and the badlands to Long Beach, it was beautiful, absolutely beautiful.
In long Beach we ran the Porsche and were rewarded with a 6th place finish, and unlike the massive carnage taking place in GT and GTA, we escaped unscathed. The we (I) drove the truck back across the Us to Birmingham and Barber where we met up with the Mustangs.
The Porsche had a couple more 6th place spots, the Cadillac, after being completely rebuilt after Long Beach burned to the ground.
In GTS, there was some spectacular racing however, the Kias, known for only being able to run 3 or 4 fast laps, waited until the end of qualifying to make their runs. We qual'd about 5 and 6th, tried some demon tweeks but just missed the setup. During race 1, AJ ran in the top 5 and let the Porsche and the Kias beat on each other, clearly, the Kias were using some inventive lines to keep people behind them,. We were rewarded on the last lap when they got together and we squeaked out a third place finish..sometimes, persistence counts.
In race 2 we were about 5th and Kurt in 7th, Kurt got an awesome start and ended up in 2nd by turn 1. Unfortunately he was squeezed over the white line and had to get a drive through penalty coming back on in 26th. AJ ran third for awhile and was moved to 4th behind the widest Kia in the universe. As the race went on Pumpelly was coming on strong in the other mustang, so AJ wisely backed off and let Pumpelly beat the crap out of the Kia for awhile. (Pumpelly was not running for driver points, but, it would count towards manufacturer points for Ford). After Pumpelly beat his way around the Kia, AJ worked him over for the rest of the race. To the point where Joe actually went down to the Kia pit and asked them WTH was going on. (Kia was already warned about blocking at least once). Finally the race ended up with us in 4th, although, I would suspect that if we didn't have to over protect the tie rod ends, we would've been third..or penalized, one or the other. In any case Kurt came roaring back to 7th is what was the drive of the race running the fastest lap.
AJ is now (I think) the points leader and Ford is MFG leader.

wa7mT4Xl.jpg

qFrE6hnl.jpg

Sounds like a fun time. This shows AJ in third just three points behind Dean Martin. Several races left to take over first place.

http://www.world-challenge.com/index.php?option=com_drivers&view=point&Itemid=160

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel