The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Re: What did you do to your boss today?

steveespo said:
Nick
Was there play in the ball stud? You had a tough time with threads this week. Awesome meeting and running with you, truly great driving a well setup car.
Steve
Steve,
I haven't removed it yet, so I don't know if there is play in it. I had previously picked up a couple of spares from Watson as a maintenance item, hence the photo. Will check play when I remove it, but my worry is that the last time I had major LH tire slippage vibration issues was 6 track days ago -- that's a lot of track time for the thread to slowly unwind and induce strain on the ball.

Great meeting you. Love your car, and it's great to run with other Mustang enthusiasts who know the cars and how to drive.

NFSBOSS said:
Yet there is no consensus on whether or not this can change the braking balance on our cars.

I remember seeing this debate in another thread.

Another consideration for me is that I have the Boss 302R/S ABS module.

Don't know if that would make it better or worse or the same as using the stock ABS module.

In any case, all the people I've met that actually run the larger GT500 rear rotors with the front factory 14" Brembos appear to be pleased.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

VTBoss302 said:
I remember seeing this debate in another thread.

Another consideration for me is that I have the Boss 302R/S ABS module.

Don't know if that would make it better or worse or the same as using the stock ABS module.

In any case, all the people I've met that actually run the larger GT500 rear rotors with the front factory 14" Brembos appear to be pleased.

I thought about this for a while before I upgraded the rear rotors. In my mind, it just came down to providing more rotor surface area to dissipate heat more effectively. Same calipers, same brake line pressure, same pads and pad to rotor contact area, just a larger diameter to help dissipate heat.

I did find one exception. There is an anti-moan brace that has an axle tube U-Bolt mounted to the caliper brace that I could not reinstall. So after speaking with others who had done this upgrade, it was not reused and no issues found with out it. It is one thing you should know before you take this on, that I did not when I made the change.

Performance wise? It works great, but I also changed the brake lines, (Steeda Stainless/Kevlar lines) and flushed the system with high temp Dot 4 fluid. No I'll effects when braking hard repeatedly in street testing, but I have not tested this on a track setting. Will report back when I get my next HPDE session.

I haves friend that just ran Sonoma last month and reported great performance and modulation.

Have fun with your Boss,
Hi Pro

20140723_070548_zpsuznb6vow.jpg

Another pic

20140721_155153_zpswadackcm.jpg

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!

302 Hi Pro said:
I thought about this for a while before I upgraded the rear rotors. In my mind, it just came down to providing more rotor surface area to dissipate heat more effectively. Same calipers, same brake line pressure, same pads and pad to rotor contact area, just a larger diameter to help dissipate heat.

This is what I'm seeing. Rear rotor temps are significantly lower when I come off track and rear pad life appears to be extended.

I did find one exception. There is an anti-moan brace that has an axle tube U-Bolt mounted to the caliper brace that I could not reinstall. So after speaking with others who had done this upgrade, it was not reused and no issues found with out it. It is one thing you should know before you take this on, that I did not when I made the change.

You may get some groan / howl when operating the car in reverse. Other than that, no issues with not reusing the anti-moan bracket.

My braking bias, feel, etc are all either the same, or imperceptibly changed ever so slightly. I will note that it is harder to get wheel straps through the wheels now when strapping down the car :)

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

JScheier said:
This is what I'm seeing. Rear rotor temps are significantly lower when I come off track and rear pad life appears to be extended.

You may get some groan / howl when operating the car in reverse. Other than that, no issues with not reusing the anti-moan bracket.

My braking bias, feel, etc are all either the same, or imperceptibly changed ever so slightly. I will note that it is harder to get wheel straps through the wheels now when strapping down the car :)

John are you using the Ford Racing ABS module suffix -CA? I have the 13.8" rotors out back and love them but I have high wear rate and high temps using the Module. Performance is excellent but I am burning through a set of Carbotechs in 5 track hours. I know some folks that run one set of rear pads in a season. I will be developing (cobbling up) some cooling hoses to help with temps and wear.

I also eleiminated the anti-moan bracket and you do get a groan in reverse occasionally.
Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

roadhouse said:
My center stack was looking rather plain so I BMO'd it

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s555/logantbuck/Mobile%20Uploads/20140903_194303_zpsmgy4c1yn.jpg[/ig]
[/quote]

Nice...

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!

steveespo said:
John are you using the Ford Racing ABS module suffix -CA? I have the 13.8" rotors out back and love them but I have high wear rate and high temps using the Module. Performance is excellent but I am burning through a set of Carbotechs in 5 track hours. I know some folks that run one set of rear pads in a season. I will be developing (cobbling up) some cooling hoses to help with temps and wear.

Nope. OEM ABS module on my 302. Have not found the need for to upgrade the module as of yet. Brake feel / threshold feels pretty good to me. That, and I see all the issues you guys are having with them (lights, not working, accelerated pad wear).

I get 1+ season out of my rear pads, but I always have everything turned off. It does appear that the racing ABS module utilizes the rear brakes more... most likely to affect balance.

roadhouse said:
My center stack was looking rather plain so I BMO'd it

20140903_194303_zpsmgy4c1yn.jpg
BMO approves of this mod. 8). Who's next?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

JScheier said:
Nope. OEM ABS module on my 302. Have not found the need for to upgrade the module as of yet. Brake feel / threshold feels pretty good to me. That, and I see all the issues you guys are having with them (lights, not working, accelerated pad wear).

I get 1+ season out of my rear pads, but I always have everything turned off. It does appear that the racing ABS module utilizes the rear brakes more... most likely to affect balance.
Agreed, the bias is definitely more towards the rear, trail rotation is easy to control, there just seems to be more range to be smooth if you know what I mean. Maybe I'll switch back to see how it feels and more importantly if lap times change significantly.
Steve

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

Put a set of jacking plates on from Mike. Roush side splitters need a little trimming for a good fit. I took about a 3/8" strip off for a tight fit.

Installed a Craigs Custom license plate bracket for the front plate. Fits great. Took longer to fill out the order form than to install! Removal was not super easy since it seems there is something in the bumper cover that it hangs up one but it still only took 1 minute. The only thing that would make it better is to either trim the nylon bolts that hold the plate on or cover them with some tube covers/rubber bumpers. They are close enough to the bumper that I am worried driving will cause the plate to vibrate. If I trim I end up with a good 1/2" of clearance so overall it was a good 50-ish dollar investment if it keeps the Staties from having one more thing besides a roll bar to hassle me about.

Grant 302

Fastfordnut said:
Was the trimming required due to the install of the jacking plates?
Yes...I already had the side splitters on. Unrelated, but they also needed to be notched for the rear wheel spats.

Keith T said:
Did you bolt them on or weld?
Mike's kit is bolt-in.

06mach1 said:
Did you take any pics by chance?
I didn't. The good news is that they sit just below the bottom of the splitters. I'll try to get some up this weekend.

Also put in an Airaid tube today on the GT
http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-intake-tube-1114gt.html
CARB legal since I've gotten enough attention lately from the local 5-0.

Grant 302

F.D. Sako said:
Did you purchase it from AM?

Yessir!
15134445576_bf4959d08f.jpg
Now they need to make one for the Boss intake...

Also painted the GT rear spoiler white today:
15160886775_467c9d3eb1.jpg

Jackplate side view with roush splitter to show clearance:
14974272987_4f5fbffcd9.jpg
15160854295_535372a534.jpg
14974189340_4fc3a099e2.jpg

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Grant:

She is looking real sweet. I like that new MIT from AirAid, was thinking about that little mod myself thinking it would smooth out the air flow and get rid of the muffler out stock tube has growing out of the bottom side of the tube.

Looks great, how does she run with the new setup?

Dave
Hi Pro

Grant 302 said:
Yessir!
Now they need to make one for the Boss intake...

I assumed the same tube would've worked for the boss?

I replaced the wheel studs with ARP studs. While at it, I replaced the front rotors as well. I was planning on installing Blowfish's shifter bracket, but the stud replacement took me more than i expected, around 4-5hrs outside in the heat!

TMO Supporting Vendors