The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Will Koni Yellows help my situation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Texas
Hello,

I have a 2013 Gt vert that is used for weekend driving and 5 or 6 track days a year. Suspension mods include steeda sport springs, koni orange shocks, lca’s and 275 Supercar 3’s square. I like it at the track but the body seems to roll quite a bit based on pics and my movement in the seat. One strut is leaking so I was either gonna get a replacement or upgrade to Yellows which I read may be better at track days when firmed up.

I am also changing sway bars (35mm Steeda front and 18 mm Dorman back). Will be putting those on this week.

My question is whether the Yellows will help noticeably overall, or if they are either too much for those springs or unnecessary if the sway bars will fix the roll issue. Just want to spend the money if it won’t make much difference.

Thank you.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Stiffer sway bars will reduce the body roll in turns. Shocks won't really reduce steady-state roll angle, but stiffening them can slow down the roll rate in transients (e.g., slaloms) so the body doesn't reach the steady-state roll angle before you start straightening back up. Koni Sports/Yellows allow you to adjust rebound stiffness; on full soft they're pretty gentle but full stiff is probably stiffer than your current Koni Oranges. This gives you a useful tuning window, and stiffer springs and sway bars will want stiffer rebound damping to control them. When you're adjusting them, never actually leave them full soft or stiff - go to the limit and them turn back 1/8 turn. Running them adjusted against the stop can cause the adjuster to seize.

are any of the old Ford "blue" bars still around? They were adjustable and were to go to piece for us in IMSA.
I'm sure someone has the part number or a Dorman #?... maybe?

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Hello,

I have a 2013 Gt vert that is used for weekend driving and 5 or 6 track days a year. Suspension mods include steeda sport springs, koni orange shocks, lca’s and 275 Supercar 3’s square. I like it at the track but the body seems to roll quite a bit based on pics and my movement in the seat. One strut is leaking so I was either gonna get a replacement or upgrade to Yellows which I read may be better at track days when firmed up.

I am also changing sway bars (35mm Steeda front and 18 mm Dorman back). Will be putting those on this week.

My question is whether the Yellows will help noticeably overall, or if they are either too much for those springs or unnecessary if the sway bars will fix the roll issue. Just want to spend the money if it won’t make much difference.

Thank you.
Yellows on full soft are similar to the Orange Koni's and are a good match for the Steeda Sport Springs.

TMO Supporting Vendors