The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winterfest at VIR February 7/8th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sending my check this week. Just need to find wherever I put my membership info first LOL

It's a long haul from Florida, but it's well worth it and I can't make Superfest this year because of a family wedding. This is almost just as good.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Here's an easy question for the certified Racers here.

"If the weather is clear, dry but cold, like 30 degrees or so, what tires will you be running?

Everything I have in stock is pretty slippery when temps reach the 30's.

I do have 2 sets of W/C Contis, but haven't tested in cold weather, so I don't know if this would be an option. Let me know and thanks so much.

Dave,
302 Hi Pro

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
302 Hi Pro said:
Here's an easy question for the certified Racers here.

"If the weather is clear, dry but cold, like 30 degrees or so, what tires will you be running?

Everything I have in stock is pretty slippery when temps reach the 30's.

I do have 2 sets of W/C Contis, but haven't tested in cold weather, so I don't know if this would be an option. Let me know and thanks
Dave,
302 Hi Pro

Dave
Let me dispel some myths and fears. On November 21 we were at VIR and it was 18 degrees F at the time of the drivers meeting, first session temp was 35. I was on Toyo R888 for that first session, ran 2:18 second laps. My car had been trailered down the night before in temps stating at 32 down to 22 degrees. Car was parked in the garage which was heated and about 60 degrees. Second session it got up to about 40 and I had switched to Conti scrubs which I ran for the rest of the weekend, including one last session that had a rain shower and was 56 degrees. Best time of the weekend was in the 2:12 bracket. Yes grip was diminished, but by driving carefully and taking a few laps to warm the car, brakes, and tires I was running times comparable to my times from May when it was 80 degrees. Tires built pressure and heat, and they got sticky. If you want to track in February, then don't let cold hold you back, just another variable that adds a challenge to your driving skills like rain conditions. Like running race pads on the street, you are not suddenly going to find yourself with no brakes at all, and go sliding off the road with zero grip, just doesn't happen. You do have to try and keep the tires inside and above 40 if you can prior to going out. I will have a garage and invite you and anyone else to stack their tires in there overnight prior to Saturdays first session.
Steve

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Hi Steve:

Thank you for the reply, very good information for me as I thought tries would be a problem unless I had an endless supply of various compound race tires.

I'll give it a try once I get my winter mods installed.

Looking to have a good track season this year.

Regards,
Dave
2HP

Unfortunately, I'm going to miss this one :(
I'm going to be overseas a couple of days before this event, I won't have time to prep the car once I get back. So, I will be looking forward to watching all you guys' videos!

Just so everyone knows, this is an open track event except for the novice group. That is 12 hours of open track time for $450 on a great repaved track.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Weather looks good for Virginia with a high of 50 on Saturday and 55 on Sunday. I just got the trailer dug out and hooked to my truck in Dad's driveway. Going to load the car later today because we are getting 8" of snow tonight. See all down in VA Friday, Saturday we will have dinner and beer at my Villa.
Steve

steveespo said:
Weather looks good for Virginia with a high of 50 on Saturday and 55 on Sunday. I just got the trailer dug out and hooked to my truck in Dad's driveway. Going to load the car later today because we are getting 8" of snow tonight. See all down in VA Friday, Saturday we will have dinner and beer at my Villa.
Steve

Steve. Sorry I will miss the season opener and villa dinner (Steve also had a season ending dinner at his villa last year). Be safe and you are hereby requested to break into the 2:09's. Be safe.

Darren

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
DGRacing said:
Steve. Sorry I will miss the season opener and villa dinner (Steve also had a season ending dinner at his villa last year). Be safe and you are hereby requested to break into the 2:09's. Be safe.

Darren
Thanks Darren
Have the coilovers on the car and just ordered 300lb/in and 350lb/in springs to go with the 375lb/in rear springs I have installed. This weekend will be a shakedown/testing session for me to get used to the new setup. Drove the car around on the street a little today and it feels like it has cement springs in it, gonna take a little getting used to. Wish you were coming but we'll catch up later in the year.
Steve

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
steveespo said:
Steve

Thanks Steve, will be fun

TMO Supporting Vendors