The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Working on car that has a torque arm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is my first solid rear axle car so when working on a car that has a Cortex torque arm (I didn’t install it) instead of the usual rear upper control arm is there anything I need to be aware of.

The torque arm would have to be removed to get to the driveshaft and transmission.
Can I just jack the car up on the 4 axle stands as normal then support the rear axle on another 2 axle stands before removing the torque arm?
is there anything else I need to consider
Thanks

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
What torque arm do you have? If it's anything like my Cortex arm I don't think you even need to support the axle, it will just hang in the full droop position. If you're trying to gain access to the trans & drive shaft I think you can just remove the forward torque arm mount and rotate the arm down enough for access. Exhaust may be in the way, if so the arm can be removed completely.

You kind of have to keep an eye on any preload on the torque arm when the car is jacked up. Of course you need to support the body on jack stands when you are playing with the arm, then put a floor jack under the diff so you can control the arm under load. Usually you can work around the arm but a few have their forward mount incorporated into the trans mount like the GM F bodies.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel