- Event Type
- Driving School
- Event Organizer
- BMWCCA - Golden Gate Chapter
Thunderhill Driving SchoolGGC Driving Schools are back at Thunderhill!
Join the BMW CCA Golden Gate Chapter for our traditional fall driving school on October 22-23 on the 3-mile east course of Thunderhill Raceway Park in Willows, CA. Thunderhill is a beautiful and challenging race track, making it a great place to learn the art of high-performance driving from our dedicated team of instructors. Our High Performance Driving School (HPDS) and Advanced Data Coaching (ADC) programs receive rave reviews from driving enthusiasts every year.You’ll go home with skills you can use on the roads every day as well as some great memories of laps at this twisty racetrack.
Every student (except those in Group S; see below) is assigned an instructor for the duration of the event. Our focus is on safety and learning. The price for this two-day event is $850 for BMW CCA members, with early-bird pricing ($800) for those who register by July 17. For our intermediate-and advanced-level students, we also offer single-day registration (Saturday or Sunday) for $475, or $450 for early birds.
Beyond in-car instruction, GGC can provide individualized coaching based on data acquisition. Data from your track session is captured, analyzed, and then turned into feedback and goals for the next session. The Advanced Data Coaching (ADC) option is available to all drivers, subject to availability.
Our solo program, Group S, is available for a select group of enthusiasts who want to take the HPDS experience to the next level. In addition to classroom sessions, Group S devotes a few laps to on-track exercises to build skills beyond lapping—using the whole track, sharing the space, being fluid in traffic. Be sure to note your experience and qualifications for entry into Group S. ADC is available to all Group S drivers at no extra cost. Just opt in during registration.
Important COVID-19 information:
|D Group||C Group||A&B Groups||Group S|
|Elite driving skills|
|In-car instruction||-In-car instruction|
-Data coaching option
-Data coaching option
All persons attending this event, participants, guests and staff alike, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, in enough time before the event (typically two weeks for most vaccines) so that it will be at full effectiveness by the time of the event. Vaccination status will be checked at event check-in; be sure to bring proof of vaccination with you.
With the exception of Group S, all students should expect to have an instructor in-car at this event. Masks are required indoors, including in cars with passengers.
Important information about the waiting list:
- If the registration form indicates that the event is sold out when you attempt to register, please sign up anyway: you will be waitlisted automatically, but we expect to accept a large number of students from the waiting list. We start with a conservative student count, and pull students from the waiting list as more instructors sign up for the event.
Event requirementsYou must be a licensed driver, 18 years of age or older, and you must be a BMW CCA member to be eligible for enrollment. Non-member registration includes a one-year BMW CCA membership. Please be sure to include or update your experience and your emergency contact info in your MotorsportReg profile when you register.
Car Control Clinic: Attendance at a GGC Car Control Clinic is strongly recommended. Working with a coach at a GGC autocross is another recommended form of preparation.
Waivers: We are using an online waiver system—Speedwaivers. You must provide a mobile phone number in order to receive SMS text messages from Speedwaivers that provide a link to the waiver to be signed electronically.
Helmets: Snell certified (M, SA or EA) helmets are required for all track events. We no longer accept Snell 2010-rated helmets; they must be 2015 or later. Please bring your helmet with you for inspection when you check in at the event.
Sharing a car: If you would like to share a car with another student, please contact the Registrar by clicking the “Send a message” to the registrar link at right before registering.
Tech Inspection: All cars that go on track must pass a tech inspection before the event. The inspector must complete and sign the Tech Inspection Form, which will be collected at event check-in. The inspection must be performed no more than 30 days prior to the event.
- The sound limit for this event is 103 dB. Mufflers are required.
- Convertibles and T-top cars must have 5-point/6-point belts and arm restraints, as well as an approved roll bar installed. Factory “rollover protection” for a soft top (e.g., BMW Z3 and Z4, Porsche Boxster) is not sufficient for the school. Convertibles with hard tops, including folding hard tops, are NOT ALLOWED. No exceptions.
- Examples of cars NOT ALLOWED: Firebirds and Camaros with T-tops or convertibles; any Corvette other than the Z06 coupe and the C7; Porsche convertibles and Targas. The Lotus Elise, Corvette C7 and Acura NSX, while targa-style cars, ARE ALLOWED due to their structural design only if the hard roof panel is in place (the soft roof panel is not sufficient). It is essential that you email us to discuss these issues well in advance if you plan to bring a convertible or T-top car. We will not give refunds if you arrive with an ineligible car.
Additional important information, a FAQ, a program overview, and the required GGC BMW CCA tech form are available in the event document folder.
TracCom discount: HMS Motorsports offers BMW CCA members who sign up for this event a 15% discount on TracCom intercom gear and 5% off of selected other products ordered through their web site. You can find the discount code in the confimation e-mail that you will receive after registering.