The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2022 GT500 - best DOT track tire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Phoenix
Hi… I didn’t see any current posts on this. I have a 2022 GT500 CFTP. OEM tire is the Michelin cup 2. Not bad at all but would love something better. I can go to the Cup2R with OEM size, but that will start becoming a pricey proposition. I also run a Camaro ZL1-1 LE that has the Goodyear supercar F3R tire which is sensational track tire for DOT. Unfortunately, the only size that I can put on the GT500 would be 305 front and 305 rear they do not make a 315.
Curious… Has anyone on this forum run the Goodyear supercar F3R tire 305 square on a GT 500?
Besides going to slicks, is there another recommended brand that are as good as the two mentioned above? (Laptime data to back that I would be helpful.)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Phoenix
Hi… I didn’t see any current posts on this. I have a 2022 GT500 CFTP. OEM tire is the Michelin cup 2. Not bad at all but would love something better. I can go to the Cup2R with OEM size, but that will start becoming a pricey proposition. I also run a Camaro ZL1-1 LE that has the Goodyear supercar F3R tire which is sensational track tire for DOT. Unfortunately, the only size that I can put on the GT500 would be 305 front and 305 rear they do not make a 315.
Curious… Has anyone on this forum run the Goodyear supercar F3R tire 305 square on a GT 500?
Besides going to slicks, is there another recommended brand that are as good as the two mentioned above? (Laptime data to back that I would be helpful.)
I should also add, the Goodyear comes in a 325 but I understand that would be too big for the rear carbon rim. Has anyone tried that? That would be perfect combination on this car.

I run 305 square.
The rear rim is 11.5" wide and YOU CAN mount 325.
Go for it. 3R are at least 1 sec faster than cup2.
But be careful on wet and cold.
Alternative can be some 200tw cheater such as CRS nankang.they are ready right away and nice on wet.
google 325 nankang crs

Screenshot_20231022-110735.png

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Phoenix
I run 305 square.
The rear rim is 11.5" wide and YOU CAN mount 325.
Go for it. 3R are at least 1 sec faster than cup2.
But be careful on wet and cold.
Alternative can be some 200tw cheater such as CRS nankang.they are ready right away and nice on wet.
google 325 nankang crs

View attachment 90840
Very cool, good to know about 325. Curious, are you running 305 square so you can rotate tires all around? Why not go with the 325 in the rear? Also, folks have measured the 305 Goodyear 3R and it seems to be just as wide as the 315 cup 2… do you have any rubbing in the front?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Charlotte
“Best” may mean different things to different people. If you mean fastest on a road course, I’d suggest the Hoosier R7 nudges the GY SC3R just slightly. If you want to push it farther but for fewer laps I’d go with the A7’s. If you’re gonna put street miles on the car, sticking with the Michelin SC2’s may be your best bet.

Very cool, good to know about 325. Curious, are you running 305 square so you can rotate tires all around? Why not go with the 325 in the rear? Also, folks have measured the 305 Goodyear 3R and it seems to be just as wide as the 315 cup 2… do you have any rubbing in the front?
You can't rotate cause the wheels are different in front and rear. (different offset and size)
I got 305 cause i bought the supercar3 (not 3r) for 1000d for 4 new 😅

Supercar 3r are my fav tire after dh’s.

3r’s in 305’s are wider than sc2’s. I ran them 305’s on 11.5’s and they were fantastic. Remember that a 305 on a 11.5 is better than a 305 on a 11. More contact with the pavement imho.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
I have heard the 305 SC3Rs are not available anywhere right now. I run the nankang crs 325 square, and also 305/325. Both setups work well. Both are faster than cup2's in 305/315 at the 2 tracks I run. It is a good tire, and does not heat cycle out as fast as the cup2's.

They were good enough for 6th in the latest Grassroots Ultimate track car competition Only hoosiers and yokohamas on much lighter cars were faster.
53265751209_3b04a90c08_b.jpg

I have heard the 305 SC3Rs are not available anywhere right now. I run the nankang crs 325 square, and also 305/325. Both setups work well. Both are faster than cup2's in 305/315 at the 2 tracks I run. It is a good tire, and does not heat cycle out as fast as the cup2's.

They were good enough for 6th in the latest Grassroots Ultimate track car competition Only hoosiers and yokohamas on much lighter cars were faster.
View attachment 90893
Steves on DH’s and 19’s.

ill ask him about nankangs…. Imma be on the list soon 👀

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
There is some video on the web about nankang AR-1's failing on GT500s. They are a much older design. the CR-S is newer, and was revised again in 2023. Really the only choice in big 19 and 20" sizes.

The set I ran at TTN had 2 heat cycles on them going in, then ran 3 sessions a day for 3 days and one day with 6 track cross runs. SCCA rules make you have to run the whole event on 1 set of tires. Fastest lap was cold 50 degree morning of the last day. Still plenty of tread left.

Kohr runs the Goodyear Supercar 3s in WRL, an outstanding tire. We are limited to a 275 and cannot run the 3R compound.
Blacksheep..hard question to answer how much faster is the wider tire? this is a big cost driver for me...WHat type of experience am i going to get on the 285/35/18 vs the 315/30/18 same 200 treadwear and same -3.5 front camber?? My goal is to toast those real fast BMW's on fat BFG Rivals. Thanks!!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
If you want to toast the BMWs with a 200 TWR tire you might look at the fat and wide RT660 Falkens as I think you will find them a little bit quicker than the BFGs. Both are good for dual purpose usage either on track or autocrossing , though you will find quite a few more running the Falken currently. You should easily get over two seconds compared to the RS-4s ( both because of the tire and extra width ) and I am being conservative. Keep in mind the old rule of thumb , for every second quicker on a 2 mile road course you are 10 car lengths quicker. Using that method a two second increase is worth 20 car lengths per lap so in 10 laps you are 200 car lengths ahead of where you would have been in the past. BFGs or RT660s , you will likely be blowing by some Bimmers, ha!

TMO Supporting Vendors