The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FoxBody 89STANG Build Thread Profile - Fox Body Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
Got all the hard lines routed, flared and loosely installed. Need to split the front line for the change to a 2 port master. I'm happy with the prop valve lines. I'm pretty certain I ran them in a way the dash can be removed without messing with them.

20240107_121202.jpg

20240107_150542.jpg

20240107_150707.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pennsylvania
Looks like it should work.

I'm thinking of adding a deflector on the k member and having the air hose channel air into it and onto the rotor. Newer mustangs use this method.
Doing a track night at Pocono in April and going to check brake temps with just the hose for now. Couple of long straights and should be a good test.
Did you have problem getting your wheels to fit larger hubs? I had center bore on wheels enlarged to fit.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
Looks like it should work.

I'm thinking of adding a deflector on the k member and having the air hose channel air into it and onto the rotor. Newer mustangs use this method.
Doing a track night at Pocono in April and going to check brake temps with just the hose for now. Couple of long straights and should be a good test.
Did you have problem getting your wheels to fit larger hubs? I had center bore on wheels enlarged to fit

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
After looking at the hubs and my wheels, my machinist, my old race teammate and I decided that my aftermarket wheels may be compromised by enlarging the hub centers. My wheels are 20+ years old and are very thick aluminum, which I thought would be good because there was plenty to remove. But they felt they were probably thick for strength because they were poorly engineered. So, after all I was hoping for, we machined the hubs down to the factory size instead. Hence is a racecar project.

I've looked at those deflectors and they obviously work. But I want absolute max cooling. I've had such issues with brakes breaking, I don't want to deal with it anymore. I'd rather have to tape off some of the cooling inlet if my brakes temps aren't getting hot enough for the pads to work properly.

The good news is I have driven the car about 20 miles so far and there are no odd noises, everything works. I'm very happy with the outcome. Now I just have to do some final tweaks and wait for my actual pads to come in and get the car final setup.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pennsylvania
After looking at the hubs and my wheels, my machinist, my old race teammate and I decided that my aftermarket wheels may be compromised by enlarging the hub centers. My wheels are 20+ years old and are very thick aluminum, which I thought would be good because there was plenty to remove. But they felt they were probably thick for strength because they were poorly engineered. So, after all I was hoping for, we machined the hubs down to the factory size instead. Hence is a racecar project.

I've looked at those deflectors and they obviously work. But I want absolute max cooling. I've had such issues with brakes breaking, I don't want to deal with it anymore. I'd rather have to tape off some of the cooling inlet if my brakes temps aren't getting hot enough for the pads to work properly.

The good news is I have driven the car about 20 miles so far and there are no odd noises, everything works. I'm very happy with the outcome. Now I just have to do some final tweaks and wait for my actual pads to come in and get the car final setup.
Makes sense. My wheels are only a year old.

Thought about having the hubs turned down but concerned that would defeat purpose of larger hubs with larger bearings. I also bought slotted rotors and they seem to be helping. Ran cool when I adjusted proportioning valve yesterday. Wish foxbody brakes had made us aware of this before we bought the larger hubs. Seems to defeat the purpose.

I plan on keeping a close eye on them as the season progresses. Doing an autox TnT next week and thing should be a good low speed stress test.

Your fabrication looks awesome.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
I got all the rust holes patched up on the van and gave it a good clean. Now I won't be as embarassed puling into the track.
Fabricated new cooling ducts to the new brakes. I was busy and behind schedule so I didn't get many photos. I will get some when my new cooling hose shows up.

20240526_130433.jpg

20240528_123450.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
Brake ducting is mostly done. I need to fine tune bits of it. But tomorrow I will see how it all works out at Blackhawk Farms.

Van and car all cleaned up ready to shine!

20240604_090142.jpg

20240604_093916.jpg

20240604_093931.jpg

20240602_124844.jpg

20240604_110849.jpg

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SoCal
First off, great work on your Fox, and working to get the most out of the 4-lug setup.

It brings back some very fond memories.....

cover-image.jpg

And....big applause :applause: on buying a used van for towing. They are extremely versatile - great for towing, sleeping in at the track, hauling race gear.....oh, and hauling the family, too. :) When properly configured, they work excellent.

When I first started racing, we had a very comfy conversion van (wife's DD) that I would....."commandeer" for tow duty. Since ours was a 1500 (1/2 ton), I installed a trans cooler, better front brake pads, weight distribution hitch, and a trailer brake controller. It all worked with aplomb.

image009.jpg

Got the trailer wiring on the van all repaired. Gave it the first trial run hauling the car. Went down the road super smooth. And as a bonus, the AC wor

Brake ducting is mostly done. I need to fine tune bits of it. But tomorrow I will see how it all works out at Blackhawk Farms.

Van and car all cleaned up ready to shine!

View attachment 95981

View attachment 95982

View attachment 95983

View attachment 95984

View attachment 95985
Hey there this is Mike. Great meeting you tonight at Blackhawk. Thanks for answering all my questions and always great to see an older fox out on the track.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
Van didn't make it to the track. The trailer was parked in a mud pit and I wasn't driving my newly cleaned van in to get it. So I drove the Mustang to the track.
Brakes worked flawlessly. I am having to relearn my brake points and confidence in what they can do. Compared to last year my lap times were a bit slower but the brakes were effortless and repeated without any difference in pedal pressure.
Still trying to sort out a "rubbing" noise. I can't figure out if it is the rear brake dragging or maybe the tire rubbing the wheel well. Any guesses from the noise in the video?

20240605_153058.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
First off, great work on your Fox, and working to get the most out of the 4-lug setup.

It brings back some very fond memories.....

View attachment 95987

And....big applause :applause: on buying a used van for towing. They are extremely versatile - great for towing, sleeping in at the track, hauling race gear.....oh, and hauling the family, too. :) When properly configured, they work excellent.

I appreciate the recognition. Specially coming from you. From the old days of Corner-Carvers I read your posts and envied your car. I'm happy to be able to finally really enjoy my car and try things that weren't available back in the day

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
I looked the car over and found rubbing on the inner rear wheel wells and rubbing between the rear shock and quad shock. So I rolled the wheel well lips and took a hammer to the shroud part of the rear shock to give a tad of clearance. Drove it to work today and all noise was gone on the off ramp where I first heard it. I think it was mostly the tire rubbing as I didn't change anything with the suspension in the back. Since I just upgraded brakes, I wonder if the rotor hat face thickness is slightly more than the stock drum face pushing the wheel track out just enough to rub. I had asked about the wheel track changing on the front but never asked about the rear.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
I was wrong. The noise is still there. I went to our local Track Attack night last night and had to listen to it all night long. You can clearly hear it in the video. When I would pull off track, guys would come up asking what the noise is. Anyone have any ideas?

Here's video of one of last nights runs. This was my PB lap until I made it into the shootout where I beat my time again. Top 3 cars pictured.

20240614_220301.jpg

I was wrong. The noise is still there. I went to our local Track Attack night last night and had to listen to it all night long. You can clearly hear it in the video. When I would pull off track, guys would come up asking what the noise is. Anyone have any ideas?

Here's video of one of last nights runs. This was my PB lap until I made it into the shootout where I beat my time again. Top 3 cars pictured.

View attachment 96208
Great job! Good to see the top three all Mustangs. Did you check to see if your tires are rubbing on the front sway bar? I see you have wider then stock wheels and maybe if you don't have steering rack limiters there could be some rubbing? Just a thought. Also, I had to do the same in the rear with clearing the inner fender well to alleviate some tire rubbing too.

TMO Supporting Vendors