The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Axle Seal Leaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have an axle seal that is leaking, which was caused by a clogged axle vent. What are the chances that the seal wont leak once the vent issue is resolved? I have a track event this weekend and really don't have the time to replace the seal prior to the event.

Leaking axle seals appears to be common. I've replaced mine every year since I have owned it. I'm thinking all the heat created from the brakes. If the vent was blocked, I'm thinking it might not leak once the vent is cleared.

This is the first occurrence of a leak. Vent was clogged; axle depressurized when I took the vent off. Sitting static there was not enough leakage to create a droplet. It appeared to only be leaking when the car was in motion.

06mach1 said:
Leaking axle seals appears to be common. I've replaced mine every year since I have owned it. I'm thinking all the heat created from the brakes. If the vent was blocked, I'm thinking it might not leak once the vent is cleared.

I keep a M-1225-B1 kit in stock

If you can, get rid of the stock vent, because it will get clogged again. I've placed a nipple with a hose that's run along the fuel fill hose with a fuel filter at the end.

If you run with advance track on, your rear brake will get hotter, which will impact the life of the rear seals.

After mine leaked, they were replaced by a National part with the recommendation of the shop owner. Based on his experience, his customers never had problems with National seals.

I replaced the stock "rattle can" with the "turkey baster" for a short term solution. I will come up with something more permanent this winter.

Nannies are off.

Will have to remember national seals when it comes time for a replacement. Thanks for the tip Sako

06mach1 said:

I keep a M-1225-B1 kit in stock. The seals in this kit are made in the USA and come pre-lubed

TMO Supporting Vendors