The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bird bomb on hood graphic

130
0
Boss got hit with a bird bomb, right on the vinyl hood graphic. I washed it off quickly, but it still etched it pretty good. I tried some cleaner wax, no dice. Then I hit it with Menzerna Super Finish ultra fine polish and buffed it out. That actually got rid of most of the etching, but the outlines and a couple of spots are still there. I also have some Meguiars M105 and M205 - is it safe to use those on a vinyl decal (obviously I'd try the 205 first and only go to the 105 if necessary)? Thanks.
 
I realize it's too late now but this is why I use Rejex and also decided to put it on the stripes. It's an excellent sealant - not a wax - and provides great protection against bird droppings, bugs, etc. It lasts a looooonnnnngggg time too. It did make the stripes slightly less flat in appearance but I think the trade-off of having them protected is well worth it.

I know I sound like an advertisement but I really like the stuff. I've used it for a few years now and like the fact that it's easy to use, lasts for a full season and protects better than anything else I've tried.
 
130
0
GottaBoss said:
I realize it's too late now but this is why I use Rejex and also decided to put it on the stripes. It's an excellent sealant - not a wax - and provides great protection against bird droppings, bugs, etc. It lasts a looooonnnnngggg time too. It did make the stripes slightly less flat in appearance but I think the trade-off of having them protected is well worth it.

I know I sound like an advertisement but I really like the stuff. I've used it for a few years now and like the fact that it's easy to use, lasts for a full season and protects better than anything else I've tried.

Less than 2 weeks ago I put on a coat of Duragloss 105 sealant followed by a top coat of Collinite 845 a few days later. That combo is about as bullet proof as it gets, and usually bird droppings, tree sap, pollen, tar, etc just slides right off. But this must have been some extraordinarily acidic avian diarrhea that got dropped. And it was on there for less than a day.

I'm going to give the M205 a shot next weekend, by hand gently at first, then with the DA, and go from there.
 
Whoa! Hope that bird doesn't migrate our direction. :eek:

Maybe you should add a little Maalox to your bird feeder. ;D
 
You could just remove the decal and see how you like it. I call it the Laguna Feca look. ;)

IMG_1298.jpg
 
Rich_S said:
Boss got hit with a bird bomb, right on the vinyl hood graphic. I washed it off quickly, but it still etched it pretty good. I tried some cleaner wax, no dice. Then I hit it with Menzerna Super Finish ultra fine polish and buffed it out. That actually got rid of most of the etching, but the outlines and a couple of spots are still there. I also have some Meguiars M105 and M205 - is it safe to use those on a vinyl decal (obviously I'd try the 205 first and only go to the 105 if necessary)? Thanks.

I had the same thing happen to me twice, I've only been to two shows. Birds love that target on the hood. Anyway, I used Meguiars 105 and 205 also with a D/A and it worked great. I was ready to remove the sticker but was happy I was able to remove the mess along with the scratches.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I did it to mine and it works very very well.
follow this thread what you cant see in the before pictures is bird bomb stains and the marring effect that was starting to form.
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5026.0
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Rich_S said:
Less than 2 weeks ago I put on a coat of Duragloss 105 sealant followed by a top coat of Collinite 845 a few days later. That combo is about as bullet proof as it gets, and usually bird droppings, tree sap, pollen, tar, etc just slides right off. But this must have been some extraordinarily acidic avian diarrhea that got dropped. And it was on there for less than a day.

I'm going to give the M205 a shot next weekend, by hand gently at first, then with the DA, and go from there.
I used a flex with Meguiars MF finishing pad with 105 two passes then followed it with lake county CCS white pad and 205. turned out very well. Made them glossy and very shiny.

Forceofwill did it to his stripes and it turned out really well.

I sealed mine with 22ple I am very impressed with their products so far. before the 22ple I used Zaino to seal them up. Also a great product for vinyl.
 
Agreed, no reason to go with 205 by hand on your '12 vinyl. 105 with a MF pad didn't harm them so you should have no problem with 205 on a orange/white. Should knock it out and finish em out nicely.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top