The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 blvckgt Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
If you're looking for track seats don't waste your money on Recaros, they might look zippy but they are not up to track work. Get some lightweight race seats from Corbeau or similar makers, you need high bolstered sides and shoulders. You can get sliding mounts for them pretty easily. They are not heavily padded but they are surprisingly comfy.
Upside is if you've already got Recaros, you can unload them for more than the cost of a race seat, at least that was my experience when I got rid of mine.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Take a look at Cobra stuff...high quality and solid reputation irrespective of price point.

I've spent my own $$ on them previously (Evo Pro kevlar) ;).

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Atlanta, GA
No need to “Tune” for now. Work on drivers mods and let Ford pay for broken parts as needed. Safety and drivers mods should be all you need for some time.
Definitely! Prioritizing my driver mod over everything moving forward haha

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Atlanta, GA
If you're looking for track seats don't waste your money on Recaros, they might look zippy but they are not up to track work. Get some lightweight race seats from Corbeau or similar makers, you need high bolstered sides and shoulders. You can get sliding mounts for them pretty easily. They are not heavily padded but they are surprisingly comfy.
Upside is if you've already got Recaros, you can unload them for more than the cost of a race seat, at least that was my experience when I got rid of mine.
I unfortunately daily mine so it’ll need to be semi comfortable as well haha

My plan is to meet other Mustang drivers at the track and learn from others’ personal experiences/recommendations

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would suggest if you do have Recaros, that even if you replace them do not get rid of them. The value drop of your car will be way more than what you will recoup from selling. Keep in mind the " Selling Mantra," that 90% of the buyers out there will never track their car, so they want all the cool stock stuff. I frankly found the Recaro seats pretty darn comfy and holding my butt in place ( but that is with cloth not leather ) so I would go along with your situation of it being a daily driver. If you don't have the Recaro seats I would definitely take JDee's advice and get an aftermarket racing driver's seat. My only real minor disagreement is getting rid of whatever the beast came with.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I'd agree with what the others are saying about keeping the stock seats. In my case I'd already decided it was going to be a track day car and only ever be driven on the street to bed brakes or testing maintenance for correctness.
I zero value my car, I consider it fully written off already.....LOL!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
I unfortunately daily mine so it’ll need to be semi comfortable as well haha

My plan is to meet other Mustang drivers at the track and learn from others’ personal experiences/recommendations
You can try my Sparcos out at Road Atlanta next month. You will quickly determine that they are not daily drivers. 🤣

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel