The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 introduction Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Regarding the TracKey, I believe there are 3 independent but related things you need - 1) use the Red key (which should be the one "linked" to the TracKey enablement), 2) TracKey to be enabled in the PCM/ECU - I think this is still only done by a Ford dealer, 3) PCM loaded / "flashed" with TracKey programming - a few years ago, Ford switched this from dealer-only work to customer-applied using the Pro-Cal tool.

The TracKey programming code was always something that needed to be purchased from Ford (or vendor); initially you got a certificate that you took to the dealer, and they used the certificate code to download & program your PCM. Later, Ford came out with the "Track Cal" item for programming non-Boss cars, and I think that's when TracKey changed from purchasing a certificate to actually getting the Pro-Cal programming with TracKey program.

Instructions for programming TracKey (note Part 2) -

TracKey progamming with Pro-Cal (if you need, this I recommend you check it's on-hand, as Summit shows as unavailable)

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Regarding the TracKey, I believe there are 3 independent but related things you need - 1) use the Red key (which should be the one "linked" to the TracKey enablement), 2) TracKey to be enabled in the PCM/ECU - I think this is still only done by a Ford dealer, 3) PCM loaded / "flashed" with TracKey programming - a few years ago, Ford switched this from dealer-only work to customer-applied using the Pro-Cal tool.

The TracKey programming code was always something that needed to be purchased from Ford (or vendor); initially you got a certificate that you took to the dealer, and they used the certificate code to download & program your PCM. Later, Ford came out with the "Track Cal" item for programming non-Boss cars, and I think that's when TracKey changed from purchasing a certificate to actually getting the Pro-Cal programming with TracKey program.

Instructions for programming TracKey (note Part 2) -

TracKey progamming with Pro-Cal (if you need, this I recommend you check it's on-hand, as Summit shows as unavailable)
Got it all sorted out. Took the above instructions back to the dealer and they properly programmed the Trackey.
Now on to suspension and brake mods. More to come.

TMO Supporting Vendors