The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Castrol Edge synthetic oil on sale at NAPA

I'm sure it's good oil, either better or the same as Mobil1 and some of the other stuff. I would say go for it, I know I will be as I am currently out of my stock.
 
racered302 said:
That's what I use, Advanced has it on sale sometimes for 4.50 at qrt, free filter if you by 5.
You're lucky you have an Advanced near you that knows someone makes a 5W50.
 
Brandon302 said:
You're lucky you have an Advanced near you that knows someone makes a 5W50.

I guess the one near you carry's what Walmart carry's? I was surprised when I seen it there, they run a special on different oil once a month and offer a quality filter to. I've got a few extra Motorcraft filters laying around now because they don't stock the Fram filters in that fit my car. I buy 10qrts and get 2 filters.
 
584
164
Thanks for the info, guys! I went ahead and bought 3 cases (18qts) and changed the oil and filter.

Advance and some of the other parts places sell it locally but they all wanted $9/qt.
 
Champale said:
Thanks for the info, guys! I went ahead and bought 3 cases (18qts) and changed the oil and filter.

Advance and some of the other parts places sell it locally but they all wanted $9/qt.

yea, need to wait for the special's, but you found one. I need to buy a couple of case's and not 10qrts at a time.
 

drano38

Wayne
1,130
318
Is Castrol "Edge with Syntec" the same thing as Castrol "Syntec"?
I'm guessing its same oil, different packaging, with Edge being the new labeling.
Local NAPA had 12 bottles of Syntec (bottle cap is 6 sided like a bolt head and lots of dust), so I picked that up and I had them order more. Got that yesterday and is the Edge with Syntec labeling.
Both are labeled Full Synthetic.
 
drano38 said:
Is Castrol "Edge with Syntec" the same thing as Castrol "Syntec"?
I'm guessing its same oil, different packaging, with Edge being the new labeling.
Local NAPA had 12 bottles of Syntec (bottle cap is 6 sided like a bolt head and lots of dust), so I picked that up and I had them order more. Got that yesterday and is the Edge with Syntec labeling.
Both are labeled Full Synthetic.

Same exact stuff but new and improved label!
 

drano38

Wayne
1,130
318
But wait, there's more!

I looked at the API code on those older bottles, and its only SM.
Ford 5w-50 and the newer Castrol Edge bottles are SN.
Some surfing showed SN is for 2010 and newer cars. I guess the local NAPA has had this laying around for a few years.

Can any oil experts confirm SM is bad for our motor, or are then SN improvements not worth getting worried over?
I guess I can try returning it. I'd hope they'd take it back if its truly "old".
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top