The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cheap, reliable track car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FWIW the SN95 platform is pretty good with the exception of the crummy triangulated 4 link. They can be had for cheap, I used the Steeda parts on mine with the Cobra/Brembo front brakes. The 4.6 engines weren't giant killers but were dead reliable and easily replaced, I used the King Cobra clutch and an aluminum flywheel with a 3.55 final drive in the diff. With regards to the rear suspension, just cut to the chase and go with a torque arm and be done with it, if your rules allow, if not, there are plenty of ways to cheater up the 4 link.
The Miata is a great slot car when the track favors them, but I like domestics.

img(2).jpg

One counterpoint I'd add here - speed. A Corvette is likely to have a much worse accident than a Miata.

One of the things I've loved about getting more time in a Miata is that I can drive one on a race track at 10/10ths of my ability at virtually all times and the stakes are soooo much lower.
+1!!! I agree. I could/can "when she is track worthy" flat out drive 10/10 the Miata and not worry about killing myself nor hurting the little girl, tons of fun.

But I still prefer a basic s197 for an open track day, never could induce torque oversteer on any Miata except for our Monster Miata!!! And that special girl is a Killer...Basic 5.0 with aluminum heads and a Cobra intake True heart of a Cobra there.
I am still amazed to this day Shelby himself never built one..

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
All depends on what kind of tracking IMO. When I had my Mazdaspeed Miata, what a fun go-kart at the tigher courses like Streets of Willow, but what a downer at Auto Club. Not that fun with it. Way back I autocrossed regionally in CSP, 2nd in class one year battling those pesky CRXs and Miatas, and agreed for autox Miata is hard to beat. But for the faster tracks, how about the E36 M3, great pkg! My E46 M3 was a hoot but not cheap anymore in current markets.

TMO Supporting Vendors