The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Daily Driven Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Great list of mods and great color ( may be biased as I have two other vehicles done in a similar blue). When you get your second set of Apex rims ( common problem on this site, ha), get a set of 18x11s and then call Optimum Performance for a set of 25mm front spacers. Slapping a set of 315/30/18s will blow your mind on the additional stiction!!!!!! They work great for putting a set of used Michelin or Pirelli slicks also.

You are in a great part of the US , with both Road Atlanta and the Atlanta Motorsports Park just down the road -- arguably two of the top 10 tracks in America!!

Great list of mods and great color ( may be biased as I have two other vehicles done in a similar blue). When you get your second set of Apex rims ( common problem on this site, ha), get a set of 18x11s and then call Optimum Performance for a set of 25mm front spacers. Slapping a set of 315/30/18s will blow your mind on the additional stiction!!!!!! They work great for putting a set of used Michelin or Pirelli slicks also.

You are in a great part of the US , with both Road Atlanta and the Atlanta Motorsports Park just down the road -- arguably two of the top 10 tracks in America!!
Thank you, I'm stuck exactly were everyone says to stay away from...mods and not track time. Had bad luck with intake manifold, fouled my cats, All my rear bushings got shot, and made my axle rub on the springs ruining the boots...$$$ just keeps flowing out. I hope to do some less expensive days at littly tally, and get to AMP and/or RA with some of the more epensive groups at least once this year. Helmet is next item on the shopping list...I promise.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Ha,Ha......now remember we have all been there , so that is why we often try to help others skip all our ........years......of mistakes!! Get er fixed and hopefully Corona will soon only be a beer of choice for some and we can get back on track ( of course then the Corona is consumed only after track excursions to enhance the armchair racers ). Heck , 2 beers after an event an I can't believe how fast I really was ,hehe!!!!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Just curious why you needed 20mm spacers with the 18x10's. I have even "tighter" wheels at ET45 instead of the ET43 with the same ECS tires and probably don't need spacers but use 3mm anyway. I have an S197 with -2 camber.

You'll like the ECS on the track. They talk to you at the limits and are nicely controllable. And AWESOME in the rain.

I'll probably upgrade to 200TW tires but the ECS will stay for the street and iffy days at the track.

I would also recommend track day insurance for peace of mind. For $25K in coverage its about $150. There is at least one company that will charge around $150 for an EVENT. Therefore if you have, for example, a two-day Hooked on Driving event, its the same price.

Have a great time!
Chris

Just curious why you needed 20mm spacers with the 18x10's. I have even "tighter" wheels at ET45 instead of the ET43 with the same ECS tires and probably don't need spacers but use 3mm anyway. I have an S197 with -2 camber.

You'll like the ECS on the track. They talk to you at the limits and are nicely controllable. And AWESOME in the rain.

I'll probably upgrade to 200TW tires but the ECS will stay for the street and iffy days at the track.

I would also recommend track day insurance for peace of mind. For $25K in coverage its about $150. There is at least one company that will charge around $150 for an EVENT. Therefore if you have, for example, a two-day Hooked on Driving event, its the same price.

Have a great time!
Chris
The wheels were my first purchase and with 285 Michelin A/S's I needed 5mm to clear the stock suspension. Literally probably the widest section width 285 I could've picked. I put the longer studs so I could fit 305 when the time presented itself. If I want 2 to 2.5 negative camber by adjusting at the strut only (not using the plates) I get rubbing at full lock. Plus the spacers give it a flush fit. I'm at -2.5 and 0 toe with the plates at 0 camber. Then I can easily push the plates to get over -3 and a touch of toe out. All with perfect clearance. I like the setup so much, and the ECS are amazing...I have almost forgotten about even trying the 305 square setup.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel